Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

help me wire my basement switches

ok so heres the deal, no dry wall yet but looking to do that next week so i need to get the electrial done but it makes wiring very easy.

right now i have three rooms, a theatre, gym and a collectible room. right now all of the outlets are on different circuits for each room so that is not a problem. however all of the lights are on the same circuit. i have wired the recessed lights in the theatre and gym and want to keep them on the existing circuit. its only a total of 8 65 watt lights.

i want to put the collectibles room on its own circuit, i will actually use two circuits for this room since it may be up to 16 lights. one circuit for the left side of the room and another for the right side of the room. i plan on running two home runs from the panel box to the light switch and then run power from the switch to the first light and than daisy chain whichever lights i want to work off of that switch.

so my question is how do i end the power that is currently running to the first switch. do i just disconnect the switch and wire nut each wire seperately to end that circuit?

second is what gauge wire do i run from the panel box to the light switch to get in on the new circuit. i only have 14/2 and was hoping to use that, not 14/3.

once i have power to the light switch how do i power another light switch off that switch.

i want to use a 4 gang box each of which will be 600V dimmers. i know i will have to degrade them which would be down to 400. i want four lights on each dimmer at 65watts so im fine with power. again, i plan on running two home runs to get power directly to two of the switches. the other two switches would than get power from those first two switches.

hopefully this makes sense and you can help me out.

classicaaron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaaron27 View Post
second is what gauge wire do i run from the panel box to the light switch to get in on the new circuit. i only have 14/2 and was hoping to use that, not 14/3.
I'm assuming this is a typo since those are both 14 gauge. The wire gauge is based on the breaker amperage. For a 15 amp, use 14g. For a 20 amp, use 12g. It's always safe to use 12g if the circuit might change to 20 in the future.

If you really want to use your existing 14g wire, you will have to make it a 15 amp circuit.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

yes, i have a 15 amp breaker so i know to use 14 wire. just wasnt sure if i needed 14/3 if i need the hot or i could use 14/2
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

The black wire in 14/2 is a hot wire. You don't need anything other than this for running the circuit from your panel to the room. Of course if you have any 3-way switches in the room itself, you will need 14/3 to connect those switches.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

cool, that answers that, thank you.. any idea how to then power another switch off of that switch, im thinking just pig tail black on one switch with black on the other switch and wire nut the neutral?

also do i just wire nut the existing hot wires to terminate the circuit they are currently connected to?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

here is a diagram I did for someone else that may be helpful to you. In it power enters the switches on the right via the 12-2 cable. Power is pigtailed to each switch. The left switch controls the left device and the right switch controls the right device

grounds not shown for ease of drawing
Attached Thumbnails
help me wire my basement switches-2-switch-2-fans-fan-fan.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

You don't normally call it powering a switch "off that switch". Outlets are usually designed to daisy-chain power, but light switches aren't. I couldn't really follow your wording, but basically into any box (including your light switch box) you'll have a cable with black and white coming in. In your case you want 2 cables coming out - 1 cable with 2 black wires going from the switch to the light (they don't make cable with 2 black wires, so wrap black tape around the white wire inside the box), and 1 cable with a white and black wire going to the next fixture.

There should be 1 wirenutted pigtail with
1) the hot black wire coming in
2) the black wire going to the light switch
3) the hot black wire going out to the next fixture

There should be another wirenutted pigtail with
1) the neutral white wire coming in
2) the neutral white wire coming from the light
3) the neutral white wire going out

Orphaned wires may be wirenutted off and left in the box, preferably labeled so someone in the future knows why it's there.