Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Help Me Understand!

I have just started an electrical apprentiship and have a few questions needed explained by a qualified electrician, i would be very grateful if you could answer them.

1.Is the only point in having a neutral to complete a circuit?
2.what decides the amount of current flowing through a circuit?
3.why can you hold the live an neutral of a meggar with 1000v going through it but no current yet still be fine.this makes me wonder why there are big DANGER signs in instalations say 1000v when it appears current is the dangerous element?
4.why does cutting across the live and neutral cause your pliers to get a hole and the breaker/fuse to trip.
5.In simple terms,what is a short circuit?

please e-mail me with answers at neilyrichardson@btinternet.com i would most appreciate it,thanks.

neilyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
renovations

Help Me Understand!

Seems to me if you're in an apprenticeship you should have someone around to explain this to you rather than anonymous people somewhere on the web. I could answer ALL these questions for you, but I'm a carpenter and don't actually know the correct answers. Merely my opinion (and warning).

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Help Me Understand!

I totally agree with Bonus. If you just started these questions will be answered in good time, but I will give some insight:

1) The answer will be over your head

2) The load applied

3) Current is absolutely NOT the only dangerous element. Many will say "It's the amperage that kills you". Yes, a small amount of current (amperage) is what it takes to kill you.
But voltage gets it there. Higher voltages are MUCH more dangerous than lowere ones.
I have heard folks say: "That is a 100 amp circuit." implying that the higher amperage is more dangerous that a small branch circuit. This is completely false. A 15 amp circuit can kill you just as quick.

4) Because a short circuit causes a fault with amperages in the ten thousands. At typical end user voltages this is plenty to cause an arc flash enough to melt steel.

5) See #4

Also, we do NOT like to simply e-mail replies to posts. That eliminates the benefit to others with similar questions.
This is the foundation which public forums are based on.