Help Me Choose Recessed Lighting For My Bookcase - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Help Me Choose Recessed Lighting For My Bookcase

Getting to the point where my bookcase is almost ready. Have my eye on a 4" recessed eyeball or gimbal kit. Was looking at lighting today at the big orange and fell in love with this one:

Glad I pulled out the instructions in the store, because the box does not state that it's a non-IC fixture, but the instructions do. It's going in an insulted ceiling. One of those constant "Can I help you????" guys at Lowe's told me to "just move the insulation out of the way". Ugh, go away, 'tard.

And all I can find is non-IC kits (unless I want to spend the $$ on LED).

Does anybody have a source for good quality, inexpensive 4" IC remodel kits with an eyeball or gimbal system? I don't want to have to shell out for LED, but will if I have to.

Advertisement

Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

I don't think I have ever seen an IC rated 4" remodel recessed.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #3

I could go 3" if the light output was good or 5" if it was very well-styled.

Big Orange house brand 3" LED, 4" LED, 5" LED, but they're neither gimbal nor eyeball. And not very deeply recessed. Since the ring will be about 7'6" off the floor, and the couches are nearby, I'm worried about fixture getting into people's eyes.

Strangely enough, the 3" and 4" model use the same LED number/size/configuration, but seemingly juiced up higher on the 4" model. The 5" is a larger configuration. So the 4" ends up pretty harsh to look directly at.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

With the bookshelves, what specifically are you looking at for lighting? Typically there should be not lighting inside the shelves. If it is for just knick-knak's, then "puck" lighting would work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

Have you looked at strip lighting? Less obtrusive depthwise and a better, more even light distribution. LED is even an option.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Only the top shelf is lit, intentionally. I toyed with the idea of adjustable glass shelves, but quickly scrapped that idea because I hate cleaning glass constantly.

I've look at puck lights, and all I can find are plug-in type. If I were to use them, I'd have to leave access to the outlets, and thus have to make the crown piece easily removable (hinged?). Are there hardwired puck lights?

Looked at strip lighting, but had much the same reservations. Is there hardwired strip lighting?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Yes, there are, and some that use a transformer to step down. Best thing is to go to Lowe's, or Home Depot and look.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #8

Looked all over Home Depot yesterday. Only saw plug-in type. Most had the transformers somewhere on the line. There were a few battery operated ones also.

Lowe's looked much the same, but had a much wider selection of under-cabinet light bars. Again, same thing, all plug-in pucks. They did have a "direct wire" kit you could use to make the light bars hardwired, but the housings were big and bulky.

Also considered widening the stiles and running rope lighting vertically instead. Plug-in might work if I ran them into the cabinet section at the bottom, but I have five face frame construction units and only 3 have electrical outlets in the base. Aaarrrrgghhh!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

I know there are hardwired puck lights and I bet Lowes and HD also have them. One thing I have found about both stores is that their inventory of undercabinet, strip, and bookcase lighting can be low. For example, I had to go to four different stores to find the undercounter xeon hardwired lights that I wanted for cabinets in my butler's pantry. Each store seemed to be entirely cleaned out of several categories of these lights making it appear that they did not stock them at all.

Puck lights are great for accent lighting but they obviously don't illuminate anything but the shelf that they are above. I've used them in kitchen cabinets with glass shelves and doors and they are awesome for that, and to illuminate shelves at the top of bookcases. The recessed eyeball lights are great for illuminating pictures, shelves and whole bookcases but obviously the effect is different. I would argue that if this is serving in part as a media center that you don't want eyeballs directed at it.

And yeah I've never seen ANY small format recessed eyeballs that are IC rated. Those small bulbs get insanely hot and the distances are too small. I installed two in my new kitchen/dining area and just put them in larger plywood boxes and insulated around them.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #10

All of the small halogen lights do seem to get very hot, I agree. I wonder if that might have an effect on the polyurethane on the bookshelf...

Looks like LED is going to be how I'll have to go. *sigh*
Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Facilities Maintenance

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius856 View Post
All of the small halogen lights do seem to get very hot, I agree. I wonder if that might have an effect on the polyurethane on the bookshelf...

Looks like LED is going to be how I'll have to go. *sigh*
Halogen lights get very hot.

BTW, could you post pics of the bookshelf when its finished? =)

Are you going to have a light switch on the back of it, or what? Friend of mine is making a bookshelf from scratch, has it stained, glossed, etc. But he was thinking on doing LED roaplights on the inner seems, so you have the lighting, but the lights themselves aren't visible. Recessed Lights would be quite interesting after looking at your light pic.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #12

All of the images to date are in the link in my sig. You bet there will be more in there once it's completed.

It's going to be just short of 13" deep with face frame installed, and on the left side it runs up against a 27" load-bearing partition. I've already opened up that wall thrice to run electrical from the crawlspace to the attic, so I'll probably open it up a fourth time and put the switch there. With dimmer if I get my way.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

This looks like what you are looking for.

http://twicebright.com/12v/CL1220TI.asp
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #14

Wow. Yeah, that's pretty close to what I was originally going for. I don't see any sellers for those though.

Picked up five 3" LED and five 4" LED recessed IC baffle cans from the BORG a few days ago. Still trying to decide which to install today.

More info and pics at the link in my sig.

Advertisement