Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

HELP! losing power to parts of the house and it changes location of what goes out

Losing power to diferent parts of the house and diferent location, and what is effected each time it happens.
Last night it was the front pouch, dish washer (light would go on and off), kitchen lights, dining room, hallway light back bed room, and window ac.
Today it is the Water pump ( for the well), AC, and the Stove (time on stove works but the burners and oven don't),
and the items I stated before are working fine.
this is a WTF thing.

Last edited by TazerKing; 05-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.
TazerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

HELP! losing power to parts of the house and it changes location of what goes out

Call your power company. You may have bad incoming line(s).

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Call your power company. You may have bad incoming line(s).
Sounds like you've (the POCO) lost one hot leg..... with clock on stove working and 240's not working.

Bad news is you can't fix it..... Good news is that the POCO has to

EDIT: Just reread and realized it is not consistant and not constant.... strange???????

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 05-12-2013 at 03:54 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

What would make it a bad incoming line. I cant see my lines they are under ground from the pole to the house?
And the power outage at the house chances places.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Spoke to a friend who owns a electricain and owns his own co (Win Electric Brunswick Ga)
Told him of the issue and he told me to call the power co I had lost a Phase.
Thanks kbsparky and everyone else
Ill let ya'll know if that fixed the issue
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazerKing View Post
Spoke to a friend who owns a electricain and owns his own co (Win Electric Brunswick Ga)
Told him of the issue and he told me to call the power co I had lost a Phase.
Thanks kbsparky and everyone else
Ill let ya'll know if that fixed the issue
Tazer.... Yes, cause it seems a leg (or phase) is bad.... but the interesting thing is that you think it affects different circuits each time it occurs. ARE YOU SURE.

If it's a bad leg/phase, the same set of circuits should be going out each time it occurs.

Good luck

Peter
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,024

You could have a bad neutral, which would cause the voltage to see saw well above and well below 120 volts.

This needs immediate attenstion as it will burn out equipment and electronics and could even cause a fire.

If you have incandescent lights, those will get abnormally bright (and may burn out quickly).

It is not trivial but also not terribly difficult to find out whether the problem is in the power company lines (call the power company first) or in your own system (call your own electrician first). I am leaning towards calling the power company first if you can't quickly find a problem on your side.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-12-2013 at 05:54 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You could have a bad neutral, which would cause the voltage to see saw well above and well below 120 volts.

This needs immediate attenstion as it will burn out equipment and electronics and could even cause a fire.

If you have incandescent lights, those will get abnormally bright (and may burn out quickly).

It is not trivial but also not terribly difficult to find out whether the problem is in the power company lines (call the power company first) or in your own system (call your own electrician first). I am leaning towards calling the power company first if you can't quickly find a problem on your side.
Alan.... That isn't consistant with what Tazer has told us is happening... but maybe your explanation is exactly right.

Maybe Tazer has 1) not noticed the 240 thru his appliances/lighting, and because he has different loads on at different times that his neutral kicks out, it consequently affects different appliances/lighting as the voltage fluctuates differently with different loads in series.

Be interested to know
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

the stove was the givaway on the problem when the clock works (120v) and the burners dont(240v) you can usually start looking for a lost phase . things will backfeed thruogh 240 v appliances like the HWH so somethings will work and then they wont .
usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by usair View Post
the stove was the givaway on the problem when the clock works (120v) and the burners dont(240v) you can usually start looking for a lost phase . things will backfeed thruogh 240 v appliances like the HWH so somethings will work and then they wont .
USAIR....Could you explain that to me.... if you loose a leg, it still seems to me that it will be the same circuits affected each time. What does backfeed mean.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC

USAIR....Could you explain that to me.... if you loose a leg, it still seems to me that it will be the same circuits affected each time. What does backfeed mean.

Thanks
Theoretically, If you lost a leg, the remaining leg could feed through a 240v appliance, Such as a water heater, and energize the absent leg in the panel.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazerKing View Post
Losing power to diferent parts of the house and diferent location, and what is effected each time it happens.
Last night it was the front pouch, dish washer (light would go on and off), kitchen lights, dining room, hallway light back bed room, and window ac.
Today it is the Water pump ( for the well), AC, and the Stove (time on stove works but the burners and oven don't),
and the items I stated before are working fine.
this is a WTF thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
Theoretically, If you lost a leg, the remaining leg could feed through a 240v appliance, Such as a water heater, and energize the absent leg in the panel.
Kyle... Thanks, I understand what you're saying, BUT from the OP's description above , it just doesn't make sense to me that a system would display that strange of behavior. Still seems that principly, the same circuts would be affected, with maybe some voltage differences.

Hope we find out

Peter
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
There is the other way you can think is the large MWBC which basically 99% of Americianie homes are wired like that way.

So with the 240 volts device when they kick in like water heater or large electrique heater or A/C unit or other high wattage devices like dryer as well.,, it will act like tempory bridge to carry over the 120 volt to the other leg of MWBC but the actual voltage will not be excatally at 120 volts most case useally lower due the restance of heating element or motour.

Now for the OP the only way the POCO will fix this is either use the TDR or Megger to find where is the open splice and dig up the ground and use the underground repair kit.

Some case they will replace the whole underground lateral cable if short run.

Merci,
Marc

Kyle_in_rure (05-12-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-12-2013)