Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Help with lighting layout

I am going to be adding overhead lighting to my house after scraping down our popcorn ceilings but need a little advice on the process.

1. In 2 of the bedrooms I am converting switched outlet to switched overhead, I think I know how to wire it, but what type of box do I need for the ceiling. I have seen they have the blue plastic remodel boxes for lighting, are these really sufficient without any connection to the joists? I have an attic which is fairly roomy so no problem adding and attaching to beams for more sturdiness. So basically, blue plastic ok for general overhead lights?

2. In main bedroom adding a ceiling fan/light combo. Basically the same question, what do I need to put up there in order to attach it securely.

3. Planning on recessed lighting in the living/tv room. I was thinking 6" cans most likely mostly for $$$ as they looked the cheapest. Question is how many? Which ones? They will need to be able to contact insulation. It looked like the remodel cans again dont attach to ceiling joists/studs, would the new construction ones be better or does it matter? Here is a little picture of the room layout. I was thinking maybe 8 lights?

Thanks
mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

For your overhead lights use something like this: It wont be hard to install if you have access above.
http://search.msn.com/products/?q=ce...erce&FORM=EGCP

You could probably use the blue boxes but they are not intended to hold a lot of weight. I would not use them.

Recessed lights they sell specifically for contact with insulation I believe they are called IC rated.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFH91O/...0&linkCode=asn

Would not be able to tell you how many and distances but you may want to take a look at your receptacles and make sure they meet code since you are doing the room anyways. Make sure you know what you are doing and that you have experience working with wiring. Dangerous business if you don't know what you are doing.

Last edited by Bocolo; 02-24-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

1) plastic boxes will hold a ceiling light just fine. Use the round ones only for ceilings. They support the light with an 8/32 screw whereas the rectangle boxes only use 6/32 screws.
2) A fan light combo will attach with fixture bars included which get nailed to two adjoining joists.
3) 6 recessed old work (cut-in) IC cans are all you need for this area.
4) start the first receptacle within 6 feet of the door. The next one needs to be within 12' The code basically requires that from any point along the wall you need to have an outlet within 6 feet. The half wall will also need an outlet. Place one withing 12" of each side of the fireplace
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote