Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help with a lighting fixture

Hi I'm Kirsty and I'm at university and I know NOTHING about DIY or electricals so please forgive my stupid and possibly missplaced question:

There is a light fixture in my room, which I want to change the bulb in, but I can't ask maintenance to do it, because they won't allow me to put a higher wattage one in, but I really need it to be brighter.

There is an identical fixture in the kitchen with a higher watt bulb. I plan to swap them round, however, I have been everywhere and can't find a tool that will open the fixtures.

The bulbs are flourescent butterfly tubes, and the lighting fixtures are square with a plastic cover. There are 2 screws, or at least that's what I think they are, on either side. But the screws are shaped like triangles. It seems like I would need a kind of, inverted screwdriver with a gap the shape of a triangle to get it open. Rather like the key you would need to open an electricity meter outside someones house but smaller.

I guess theyve made them like this to stop people like me tampering with the lights, but I think theyre just mean. Does anyone have any idea what tool or screws I am talking about and if so do you know how I can open them or get a tool to open them with?

I've been to all the DIY shops near me and they either didn't know what I meant or suggested plyers, which didn't work, because not even my male friends have strong enough hands to grip and twist the triangles.

Please help Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by llVeXXll View Post
Hi I'm Kirsty and I'm at university and I know NOTHING about DIY or electricals so please forgive my stupid and possibly missplaced question:

There is a light fixture in my room, which I want to change the bulb in, but I can't ask maintenance to do it, because they won't allow me to put a higher wattage one in, but I really need it to be brighter.

There is an identical fixture in the kitchen with a higher watt bulb. I plan to swap them round, however, I have been everywhere and can't find a tool that will open the fixtures.
There are some area it is pretty much off limit even the dorm or apartment users can not get into the luminaires due for both safety and theif reason so really I don't think it will be my best way to tell you how to do this due if this is in apartment or dormority area even home rental is in this as well.
Quote:
The bulbs are flourescent butterfly tubes, and the lighting fixtures are square with a plastic cover. There are 2 screws, or at least that's what I think they are, on either side. But the screws are shaped like triangles. It seems like I would need a kind of, inverted screwdriver with a gap the shape of a triangle to get it open. Rather like the key you would need to open an electricity meter outside someones house but smaller.
That called 2D flourscent lamp and they only come in couple wattage rating as you see above you mention kitchen they are very spefic on ballast size { to control the lamp current } that one reason why they gone with flourscent to keep the electrical demand down { alot of large universty area do pay pretty big chunk of electric bill each month and any way they can save a wattage or two or more they can able get their master electric bill down a bit }
Quote:
I guess theyve made them like this to stop people like me tampering with the lights, but I think theyre just mean. Does anyone have any idea what tool or screws I am talking about and if so do you know how I can open them or get a tool to open them with?

I've been to all the DIY shops near me and they either didn't know what I meant or suggested plyers, which didn't work, because not even my male friends have strong enough hands to grip and twist the triangles.

Please help Thanks in advance for any advice.
keep in your mind not all us are mean we do it in safety reason and I did see some crazy stuff at the campus area and you can see why some area it will need tamperproof items in place.

I am sure few other members will chime in as well

Merci,Marc

Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #3

There is a good reason you are not supposed to put a higher wattage bulb in - RISK of FIRE

It takes a special tool for a reason, to keep people out

Buy another plug-in lamp
Closed Thread