Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

help installing two 20amp appliances on one outlet.

Ok heres the deal, I want to install two coral tankless hot water heaters in line with each other to heat water for a shower. The website says that each heater requires a 30amp breaker installed, could I plug both heaters [110v 60hz 20amp common house plug] into the wall outlet and install a 60Amp single pole breaker in place of the 20amp single pole breaker in my box?

wrzesinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Where are you located ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrzesinski View Post
Ok heres the deal, I want to install two coral tankless hot water heaters in line with each other to heat water for a shower. The website says that each heater requires a 30amp breaker installed, could I plug both heaters [110v 60hz 20amp common house plug] into the wall outlet and install a 60Amp single pole breaker in place of the 20amp single pole breaker in my box?
First you won't find a 60 amp single pole circuit breaker for a residential load center. If you could find one you would have a 100% chance of melting the #12 awg wire that is presently protected by the 20 amp breaker and a fire would likely be the end result.
These heaters are designed to take the place of a shower head. In fact they are no more than a shower head with an 110v 25 amp heater coil. I suspect your going to be greatly disappointed in their performance which maybe is why your wanting 2 of these things inline..

In the USA this is a totally illegal installation to have a 30 amp breaker protecting an applaince that plugs into a 110 volt 20 amp receptacle.

I am also unsure how you would put two inline.

In my opinion this thing is a recipe for electrocution.

I'll give the 'you tube link' to the installation video for this thing for others to view. Scroll down to view link once at the home page. Scroll farther down for the written instructions

http://www.excelonlinestore.com/serv...s-Water/Detail

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

you need to use the proper wire for the breaker, you can't just change the breaker.

If it actually comes with a 20 amp plug, then I can't see how it would need more then 20 amps. A 30 amp plug would be a twistlock I believe, and I've never seen a residential appliance require that. Easiest route is a 20 amp receptacle on a MWBC. Use 12/3 wire and a double pole 20 amp breaker.

Edit: just watched the video.

I don't know why, but that thing scares me.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrzesinski View Post
This whole post scares me. Common sense should have kicked in halfway through writing it.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post

In the USA this is a totally illegal installation to have a 30 amp breaker protecting an applaince that plugs into a 110 volt 20 amp receptacle.
That's because this thing is NOT designed for the US market, yet they are marketing it in the US (via Ebay I assume).

Quote:
THESE SHOWER HEADS ARE USED IN 80 % OF ALL HOUSEHOLDS IN BRAZIL AND THEY WORK GREAT. OPERATES ON 110 -125 VOLTS 3000 WATTS AT 30 AMPS.

YOU ONLY NEED TO CONNECT IT TO THE NEAREST 110V OUTLET (MAKE SURE THAT CIRCUIT HAS A 30 AMP BREAKER).
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
This whole post scares me. Common sense should have kicked in halfway through writing it.
Pete

Some people don't have any ...

And yes about Brazil that's why I asked him where he is located ... but I wouldn't use the thing anywhere.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

The more I think of it, I don't know why they don't make those 240 volts. Then you could get away with a 15 amp breaker. If you're going to electrocute yourself in the shower because a wire nut falls off, may as well make it worthwhile!

I guess inline they're a bit safer, but I'd be weary about the type of wiring they use, if it's even proper gauge. I probably don't have to ask if this is UL listed.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

There is really nothing that common sense will do if you don't have basic electrical knowledge. Without a base, there is nothing to judge logic by. To some people, adding a larger breaker might seem like the same thing as opening a valve wider in order to give you more pressure thru the existing plumbing in your house.

wrzesinski, you did the right thing in asking first. There are a LOT of electrical rules, some of them are quite lame. However, installing a bigger breaker is definitely a safety risk, it is a very easy way to start a fire, especially when a high current drawing heating element is attached.

So, as others have said, do NOT install a larger breaker.

As Stubbie mentioned, I don't think this product will work for you at all. If you spell out your situation I'm sure someone here or on the plumbing sub-forum can help you.