Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Share |

Help installing light fixture

I am in the process of working on a house. My other half was thrift-storing the other day and found a fixture that she wanted for her bathroom. Being used, it did not come in a box, nor w/ instructions. The best description that I can give is... a 3' lightbar (houses 6 bulbs) with a mirror backing. They would mount horizontal above a mirror. Behind the mirror, where the bulbs protrude through, there is a box that is about 6" deep; which houses the bulb sockets. I would assume it was meant to be flush mounted in the wall; I could be wrong. I'm not up for the task of cutting the wall and studs to make it fit. Is there a way to mount such thing to the wall? I was thinking about building something similar to a 6" deep frame and mounting that to the wall and sliding the box in to the frame. I just think that a wood frame would look more appealing than an aluminum box. Any ideas or help? Thanks in advance!

GaugedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
I=E/R

Maybe there is a trim ring that is missing. I'd expect the fixture to be surface mounted but without a picture it's difficult give ideas.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Depends on what it looks like - some are meant to be installed inset into the wall or a unit (like a shelf or something) and others are not.

Actually king-ing off a wall inset isn't too hard - just liek a window.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

It's very similar to the one pictured and behind the panel there is a sheet-metal box concealing the bulb sockets that extend to about 6" behind the panel.
GaugedUp is offline   Reply With Quote