Help - Installing Honeywell RPLS540A In Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help - installing Honeywell RPLS540A in garage

I just purchased two Honeywell 7-day Solar Programmable Wall Switches (RPLS540A). I installed one in my house to control the front door porch light (10W CFL), and it worked like a charm. I know this model requires 40W according to the instructions, but it's worked perfectly.

I recently tried to install the second switch in a new garage (replacing a photo sensor that worked erratically due to natural lighting) to control two-10W CFLs. However, after following a couple of the single-pole diagrams, I absolutely cannot get it to work.

The wiring coming from the power (breaker box) is 14/2...line (black), load (white), and a ground. There is also the same three wires going to the two CFL lights. The switch itself has a line (black), load (black), three-way (yellow) and ground (green).

The following is a diagram to the installation instructions: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2454EFS.pdf

Could anyone please let me know how the timer should be hooked up given my current configuration?

Advertisement

joshlardinois83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Looking at the instructions, did you follow the second diagram for single switch installation?

If you can, try swapping the CFLs for incandescent bulbs just to see if the fixture works.

Advertisement

djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

The instructions for this install seem to be labeled incorrectly in their literature. (Line and Load seem to be reversed) I cannot say for sure how it is supposed to be wired. However, I will assume that Honeywell puts the wattage ranges in the specs for a reason. It would not be out of the realm of possibility that by not following the minimum wattage requirement could be a problem.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The fixtures (with CFLs in them) do work fine. I actually just took out the Honeywell switch for the time being and have the lines, loads and grounds wired together from both the breaker box and lights. They're on 24/7 for now, but hopefully that's just temporary until I can get a switch wired up.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
The instructions for this install seem to be labeled incorrectly in their literature. (Line and Load seem to be reversed) I cannot say for sure how it is supposed to be wired. However, I will assume that Honeywell puts the wattage ranges in the specs for a reason. It would not be out of the realm of possibility that by not following the minimum wattage requirement could be a problem.
Thanks Buzz. I thought about the minimum load, but I wired the exact same switch in my house for the front porch light. I'm using the same 10w CFL as in the garage fixtures, but the house switch works perfect. I'm also using only one fixture in the house switch as compared to two with the garage switch.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 564

My thought on swapping to incandescent bulbs is to validate your wiring connections in case the CFLS don't have enough load to trigger the switch.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
My thought on swapping to incandescent bulbs is to validate your wiring connections in case the CFLS don't have enough load to trigger the switch.
Gotcha. That makes sense to me, but then why would you think the same switch in the house (with only one CFL) works great? I'm stumped.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

You mentioned a yellow "3 way." Are there two switches that control those garage lights? If so, you need a programmable 3 way switch, not single pole. Also, you are using the terms line/load incorrectly, and if you're wiring the switch based on this, that could be the problem. Line means the "hot" feed (yes, it's the black, but the white neutral with it is still part of the "line"). Load is the pair of wires (plus ground) that then, in your case, go on to the fixtures. So anytime you open a connection in a box, the line is the energized pair, the load is whatever it would energize when connected (except for a drop/end-line switch).

Advertisement

ericmunyon12345 is offline   Reply With Quote