Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help installing fan/light/heater unit with strange wiring setup?

Hi,

I've got a cheapo heater/light/fan combo that I'm trying to wire up as part of a bathroom renovation.

It has a sticker with a wiring diagram on it:
http://img69.imageshack.us/i/16022010049.jpg/

And here is the set of terminals for connecting:
http://img6.imageshack.us/i/16022010050.jpg/

It comes with a 4 gang switch, each switch has two screw terminals behind it. Can anyone shed some light on how to wire this up?

Right now I have three separate three wire electrical cables coming down from the ceiling to the wall, and I have a 10A circuit from the meter box in a junction box above the intended location for the light.

Before anyone asks, I'm somewhere where 240V is used! Thanks for any advice.

mooc0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Help installing fan/light/heater unit with strange wiring setup?

Label or remember which wire from the ceiling down to the switch box is which.

Connect the power feed hot wire (from the meter box) to one wire going down to the switch box. At the switch box cut four short lengths (6 inches or 15 cm each) and wire nut all four to (the other end of) this wire. These short lengths (pigtails) are connected to one terminal of each switch respectively.
Neutral from the meter box is connected to the neutral terminal on the fan unit.

Ground from the meter box is connected to ground for the fan unit and also to all the ground wires (one per cable) going down to the switches. Use pigtails and wire nuts as needed so only one wire goes under any one screw head. (Certain screw terminals have a pressure plate that will allow one screw to hold two wires.)

Four of the wires going down to the switch box are for fan, light, heater part 1 and heater part 2. Connect them to the switches respectively.

Leave the "active" terminal of the fan blank. This is used when you don't have a wall switch for the fan and use the pull chain on the fan.

I don't know the wire color code for where you are located. In the U.S. white wires are reserved for neutral (or when needed, the hot feed to a switch). Green wires or bare wires are for earth (ground). Other color wires (usually red and black) are for hot lines and power from switch to light/fan (switched power). In countries not using 120 volt power, one of the wires going to a (240 volt) light or appliance is neutral.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-16-2010 at 10:55 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote