Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

Share |

Help!! for installation of a hanging light from a drop ceiling

I am attempting to install a 10 lb light fixture from a drop ceiling. The old fixture (80's I think) was about 5 lbs and was "cobbled" to a 14" long board above the ceiling tile. Also, the old light was PLUGGED in, as someone had installed a reg. outlet above the ceiling tiles. My question: Isn't there such a thing as an extension for an outlet box that will hang from the grids of the drop ceiling? I'm sure the grids are sturdy enough as someone has wired them to studs (probably for the other light). I am thinking of using the old plug and wire that I cut off from the old fixture and plug it in and then feed the wire through the outlet box to install my light wires. Will this work? What parts do I need and can I get them at Home Depot? Have I totally confused you so you need pictures??

Thanks for any and all advice! FYI: This is a 100 year old house and it's had many remodels, so the electrical is all up to date.

Marilee

Marilee516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #2

It's a little difficult to deal with a hanging fixture with a suspended ceiling since you may need to take down the tile (panel) where the fixture will be located at a later date and have to work around the fixture.

Usually you can place a 1x3 across the ribs, above the ceiling tiles, and attach a hook to that to support the light fixture. Another alternative is to fasten a hook to the actual ceiling above with a cable or chain coming down and through the ceiling tile.

Yes you can have a "floating" junction box attached to a Romex cable or flexible conduit coming from an outlet box up on the ceiling. This junction box in turn could be mounted in the ceiling tile where the fixture is located.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-04-2011 at 09:37 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #3

Look into Arlington Products.As far as a receptacle above the ceiling,No.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

I'm wondering if a t-bar hanger would work?
Marilee516 is offline   Reply With Quote