Help With Installating GFCI - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

help with Installating GFCI

Hi everyone, I just installed 3 gfci outlets (1 in bathroom, 1 kitchen, and 1 outside). Just finishing installing it, I noticed that the one on the outside is rated for 20amp and all 3 of my gfci are 15amp. Will this be a safety issue? Should I install it with the right 20amp gfci?

Thanks

Advertisement

Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

well the bathroom is a wildcard, it depends on the size of the breaker. If it's 15a circuit then your fine. If it's a 20A circuit then i think your fine in the u.s but not fine in canada.

The kitchen needs to be a 20A gfci on a 20A circuit.

The outside again can be 15A or 20A. Same amperage rules apply as the bathroom circuits and same location rules. If it's done in canada it has to be a dedicated circuit.

Advertisement

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
well the bathroom is a wildcard, it depends on the size of the breaker. If it's 15a circuit then your fine. If it's a 20A circuit then i think your fine in the u.s but not fine in canada.

The kitchen needs to be a 20A gfci on a 20A circuit.

The outside again can be 15A or 20A. Same amperage rules apply as the bathroom circuits and same location rules. If it's done in canada it has to be a dedicated circuit.
The kitchen only needs to be a 20 amp recep if you are in Canada. 15 amp recep is fine in USA, on a 20amp circuit.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
andrew79 (07-15-2012), PaliBob (07-16-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Master Electrician

the kitchen has to be dedicated in your parts too no?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
the kitchen has to be dedicated in your parts too no?
At least two 20 amp SABC's to serve countertop receps.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Andrew, do you guys even have any appliances that would utilize a 20 amp receptacle in a kitchen? Seems funny to require 20 amp receptacles and yet no one even owns an appliance with a 20 amp cord.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Master Electrician

I think the thoery is that its replacing a split 15. So you could have two ten amp appliances plugged into it. Also our code states you can't have a device rated at less the the breaker size.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Also our code states you can't have a device rated at less the the breaker size.
So you use 20 amp switches as well?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
I think the thoery is that its replacing a split 15. So you could have two ten amp appliances plugged into it.
that doesn't make sense because the only difference between a 15 and 20 amp device is the t slot on the cover, meaning they use the same internal parts regardless, they just install a different cover for the amperage difference.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Master Electrician

lighting loads have to be on a 15A breaker in canada, well they did as of the 09 code book. So if you want 20A receptacles you can't have lights hooked in with them. Also on our kitchen counters you can use splits if outside the gfci zone, splits on special gfci breakers inside the zone and 20A gfci's. Only two receptacles max permitted on each circuit though.

And i hate you for making me get out my codebook on a sunday afternoon.

actually the guts of our parts are actually rated for the amperage stated on them, that might have something to do with it. Although with all the safety factors involved i'm sure our 15a receptacles are most likely good for 20a as well but hey i don't make the rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Thanks Andrew... Im somehow intrigued with the differences in codes.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Master Electrician

i should probably add that all that's only for a dwelling residence. We use 20A circuits for lighting loads in commercial/industrial all the time. They're just super sticky these days with housing. normal receptacles are a thing of the past up here in new homes. Everything that isn't considered dedicated(ie fridge, microwave) has to be tamperproof too.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Thank guys,

That's pretty sum it up. I live in U.S so I guest it should be fine. How do you determine the line and load? Is there a way to test it out and if say for example if I wired it in reserve. What would happen? I just wired it base on my guest, My line looks like it is on top and load looks like on bottom, I tested it out and it seem to turn off the outlet, but is there any other test to confirm it's right? I also heard that if you put a gfci in the 1st outlet of the breaker, then the rest in the series should also be protected. So there is no needed for gfci on all outlets. Is that true?

Last edited by Mr.HVAC; 07-15-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HVAC View Post
Hi everyone, I just installed 3 gfci outlets (1 in bathroom, 1 kitchen, and 1 outside). Just finishing installing it, I noticed that the one on the outside is rated for 20amp and all 3 of my gfci are 15amp. Will this be a safety issue? Should I install it with the right 20amp gfci?

Thanks
I will give you a Joker ( wild card ) so therefore the outdoor receptale can not be tied into the kitchen or bathroom circuits.

That is speced on modern NEC codes but if that was oringal wiring it may be ok to use the bathroom GFCI to feed the outdoor receptale in old codes days ( way before 1984 IIRC )

And the GFCI receptales are rated for 20 amp feed thru which it is common the only differnce is faceplate so that is a wild card there ( some area which the inspector can get picky or in some area they are specfied on that. )

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HVAC View Post
Thank guys,

That's pretty sum it up. I live in U.S so I guest it should be fine. How do you determine the line and load? Is there a way to test it out and if say for example if I wired it in reserve. What would happen? I just wired it base on my guest, My line looks like it is on top and load looks like on bottom, I tested it out and it seem to turn off the outlet, but is there any other test to confirm it's right? I also heard that if you put a gfci in the 1st outlet of the breaker, then the rest in the series should also be protected. So there is no needed for gfci on all outlets. Is that true?
as long as the protected outlets get fed from the load side of the gfci your good.

Advertisement