Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Share |

Help with indirect motion sensor

Hi,
I have regular sconces mounted on either side of my garage door.
I want to add a motion sensor so the lights are triggered by cars pulling into the driveway. I want the sensor somewhere out of sight like up at the top of the gable end wall above the door. First question is: is this possible?
Second is, where do I find this sensor? Does it need a junction box all to itself? Trying to avoid an exposed j-box as in a regular flood light/motion sensor unit.

The interior of the garage is exposed framing so very easy to pull wire anywhere I need it.

Was looking at the Rab stealth units on Amazon, but they look they're designed to replace existing sensors on flood lights. So not sure what to look for.

Thanks for any help.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Help with indirect motion sensor

Yes it is possible. You will need a 12-3 or 14-3 cable from the motion sensor, preferably to the existing switch box of your coach lights. Stand alone motion detectors are readily available. It can be installed using a weatherproof cover and a j-box recessed into the siding or with a weatherproof box surface mounted to the siding.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (11-10-2013)