DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help with HVAC blower motor wiring

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  aboekman 
#1 ·
I got a cage blower and motor from a heating and cooling place and I want to make an air cleaner for my shop. I would like the advice of a pro before I dive in and fry this motor. I"m guessing blower white wire goes to house white neutral wire. Ground the motor and blower assembly with bare wire from house wiring. Put a four way selector or four way with an off position for the different speeds and connect to the black common house wire. Put the on off switch on the common black house wire? What kind of selector would you recommend? Do I need to add airflow resistance to this blower so the motor doesn't draw too many amps? This blower no longer has the resistance of a house full of ducting. Has anyone ever tried this and what were your experiences?

Thanks,
John

General Electric 1/2 hp 115v 7.9amp 1075rpm
part number 5KCP39LG

See less See more
#3 ·
Blowers like that one very rarely overload.

If you need only one speed, you can use a standard light switch, and connect it to either bla, yel, blu, or red. Only one of them. If it isn't the speed you want, try another. Insulate the others, as they will be hot while the motor is running.

If you need all 4 speeds, your description above will work.

If you use a speed control, make sure it's designed for motors, and is rated at least 8 amps.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.