Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #1

Share |

HELP, how to wire contactor for switching HID lights

hey all,

hey i was after some help building my light switch gear box. i have a Telemecanique contactor , circut breaker, (5 min) lock out timer (solid state relay), and a grasslin panel mount timer. i've drawn a diagram can u please help and show me how to wire it up. I live in Australia our power at the powerpoints/mains is 240vac 50hz. I have a bit of a idea but i'd like to make sure i do it right. My contactor is rated for 7.5kw. prehaps any one who knows can email me
s11.mitchel@yahoo.com.au and send me the pic back with the right colour wires? Please!!! this will all be mountd in a pvc enclosure.

Many thanks really appreciate your help!!

madazz
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, how to wire contactor for switching HID lights-how-wire-light-timer-switch-gear.-updated.jpg  

Last edited by madazz; 07-25-2009 at 02:57 AM.
madazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #2

This is a simple procedure, but you are going to have to do some thinking on your own. The timer controls the contactor via coil terminals (A1) & (A2). The timer pulls the contactor in, which in turn closes the contacts that feed the fixtures. I have no idea what or how your timer works or what the " Lock Out" timer is. Is it a bypass, so you can turn the lights on when the timer is not calling for light?

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

ok a1 and a2 are the easy ones! the lock out timer is a relay that will lock out the re start of the appliance its running for a period of time after a power outage. the bulbs i use cannot start hot and need time to cool down before turning back on. if power flicks off for 1 min then back on my lights will not turn on until 5 min has passed if power has been off for 5 mins or longer the relay will know this and switch the lights back on. i know that L2 and N4 from timer go to A1 and A2 on contactor, but i have no idea which way the power should go, weather i run through th circuit breaker 1st or ....??? this is the reason i was hoping a electriction could help!. for someone that knows contactors this should be easy.

thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

The incoming neutral goes to N4 on the timer, and 1L1 on the contactor.

The incoming hot goes to the top of the circuit breaker.

The bottom of the circuit breaker connects to 5L3 on the contactor, and one side of the lockout timer. It doesn't matter which side.

The other side of the lockout timer goes to L3 & L5 on the timer.

L2 on the timer goes to A1 on the contactor.

N4 on the timer goes to A2 on the contactor.

The load is connected to 2T1 (neutral) and 6T3 )hot) on the contactor.

Wired like this, each power interruption will cause the timer to stop until the lockout relay has timed out. If the timer is a dial type that is set to clock time, it'll be inaccurate with each power failure. If you can post a diagram of the timer, we might be able to work around this by re-connecting a few wires.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

thanks heaps rob! really appreciate your help. do u mean this picture i have included or something else.?
i have also included the type of timer i'm using.
thanks all your help is appreciated! could we put the lockout after the timer somewhere, so the timer doesnt loose time when relay is working, but i guess then every time the light turns on they will be on a 5 min delay, so i guess that wont work.

u will know 4 sure.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, how to wire contactor for switching HID lights-wiring-grasslin-timer.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

To prevent the lockout timer from messing up the timer, remove the jumper from 3 to 5 on the timer. Leave 3 connected to the lockout timer. Install a jumper from 5 to the bottom of the breaker.

What we've done here is to power the timer motor with line power. The control circuit is still powered through the lockout timer.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #7

tHANKS SO SO MUCH!!!! YOUR THE BEST. I KNEW THERE WOULD BE A WAY ROUND IT. MANY THANKS. I BET THAT TOOK U 2 SECONDS TO WORK THAT OUT. EASY AS 123 FOR SOMEONE THAT KNOWS FOR SURE.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN REALL APPRECIATE IT.

BEST REGARDS AARON
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
To prevent the lockout timer from messing up the timer, remove the jumper from 3 to 5 on the timer. Leave 3 connected to the lockout timer. Install a jumper from 5 to the bottom of the breaker.

What we've done here is to power the timer motor with line power. The control circuit is still powered through the lockout timer.

Rob

Hey Rob

just a quick message to say i buil the unit and it works perfect!!!!
thanks so much for all your help. the lock out timer works just perfect and timer looses no time while L/O is in operation. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

:thum bup: