Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


during our recent roof replacement while I was walking and looking down from the top I spotted this wiring connection seen in the pic that is outside a box and with a transformer hung from a wire in the attic, how dangerous is this? It's in a hard to get place up there, looks like a broken up box is laying down below it. I imagine it is the thermostat connection for climate controls? Not sure how long it's been like that. should I be calling an electrician over right away to get it into a box?
Attached Thumbnails
help, how dangerous is this wiring?-electrical-001.jpg  

kneejerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
during our recent roof replacement while I was walking and looking down from the top I spotted this wiring connection seen in the pic that is outside a box and with a transformer hung from a wire in the attic, how dangerous is this? It's in a hard to get place up there, looks like a broken up box is laying down below it. I imagine it is the thermostat connection for climate controls? Not sure how long it's been like that. should I be calling an electrician over right away to get it into a box?
Just install a new metal box... Its not an emergency call, but something that needs to be addressed... put a list together if you can to save a trip out for the guy.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,557
Rewards Points: 2,010
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


That mess definitely needs cleaned up. It's not a super emergency, but it isn't good either. I can't tell if the tan wire to the right of the transformer is connected to the 120V line. If so, that's bad. Also, there appear to be two black wires coming out of the broken box. Not sure what for but it's not normal. There's probably more badness elsewhere in the house too. These things rarely exist in isolation.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,278
Rewards Points: 1,008
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


This appears to be a bell transformer for the doorbell(s). The grey/blue box lying on the insulation appears to be an old transformer that was replaced by the newer shiny one. Where the wires from the newer transformer (110vAC in/12vDC out) are tied into the electrical circuit with the wire nuts, this need to be in a junction box with a cover plate on it. Actually IMO the transformer should be secured onto the top of a ceiling joist.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


"how dangerous is this wiring?"

Well, what all can go wrong and how will it go wrong and how long will it take to go wrong? This is best answered by experienced electricians.

The wirenuts are not in a fire-resistant box but the transformer hardly draws any current so they won't get hot from bad connections unless the 'frmr shorts.

Somebody mucking around up there can maybe kick the wires out of the wirenuts and so you'd have 120v exposed but there is no water or grounded metal surfaces nearby. If they spark I guess they could ignite something and you may not smell smoke from this fire.

The loose cable can trip someone.

The transformer may overheat if it is not surrounded by free air.

Rodents can chew the wires but that is true of any hookup.

Other?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

help, how dangerous is this wiring?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
"how dangerous is this wiring?"

Well, what all can go wrong and how will it go wrong and how long will it take to go wrong? This is best answered by experienced electricians.

The wirenuts are not in a fire-resistant box but the transformer hardly draws any current so they won't get hot from bad connections unless the 'frmr shorts.

Somebody mucking around up there can maybe kick the wires out of the wirenuts and so you'd have 120v exposed but there is no water or grounded metal surfaces nearby. If they spark I guess they could ignite something and you may not smell smoke from this fire.

The loose cable can trip someone.

The transformer may overheat if it is not surrounded by free air.

Rodents can chew the wires but that is true of any hookup.

Other?
Thanks, this is the kind of "what if's" I was thinking about. My main concern was the transformer shorting out and maybe causing current draw enough to start a small fire before the breaker kicks (if it's on one!). The other concern I had is the transformer falling down from the wire it's hung from and similar over heating occuring. Nobody is going to trip on it as it is a portion of the attic that is not accessible, further complicating a repair attempt (I think).

kneejerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attic wiring - ceiling lighting uses 14/2 cable without ground darlingm Electrical 3 11-29-2011 09:01 AM
Backyard wiring questions MikeInDetroit Electrical 1 11-02-2011 09:46 AM
Landscape wiring question: GFCI and Breaker Amp MikeInDetroit Electrical 0 11-02-2011 09:43 AM
Old wiring to new wiring Acworld34 Electrical 3 07-11-2011 10:00 AM
Knob & Tube wiring - How concerned should we be? hotdiggitydog Electrical 6 04-11-2006 07:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.