Help With Grounding Bar On New 200a Main - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with grounding bar on new 200a main

I am replacing my 200 amp 20 space panel with a 200 amp 40 space panel. I am replacing the panel rather than installing a sub panel. I am confused on how to wire the ground bus bar. my current panel has 2 separate neutral bars that are used for both neutral and ground and are connected to each other. The new panel box also has 2 separate and connected neutral bars. I want install a separate ground bus bar to make things a little neater. Do I need to connect the neutral bars to the ground bar and/or to the connecting strap to the metal box?

Advertisement

djasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

The two neutral busses (bars) need to be bonded to each other using the approved strap.

(Assuming that this new 200 amp panel is the main panel, its breaker is the first main disconnect for the building)

Provided that there is good bare metal to metal contact between the ground bus bar and the panel back and good bare metal to metal contact between the strap or other metal contact for the neutral busses and the panel back then you don't need a direct connection between the neutral busses and the new ground bus.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So, you say that I do need to bond the neutral and ground bars somehow, either direct strap bond or indectly through the back panel?

Would this change if I wanted to conect a generator via interlock kit and 30a breaker backfeed?
djasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I have never seen a 200A 20 space panel. I'm not saying that they haven't ever made it, just that I've never seen it.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote