Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

help GFI wiring

Ok I will be installing 1 gfi and 3 regular outlets down circuit so they are protected also. Question is when I connect the hot can I "wrap" it around gold screw and then go directly to the "load" screw and then to next outlet or is the "load" wire a totally new wire

jvap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

help GFI wiring

most likely you will have a 2 wire entering the box and a 2 wire exiting. the 2 wire from the panel will be the line side of the gfi. The other 2 wire leaving and going to feed the other 3 outlets are on the load side. they need to be seperated you cannot wrap the hot from the line to the load. it will not work right.

Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

help GFI wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvap42 View Post
Ok I will be installing 1 gfi and 3 regular outlets down circuit so they are protected also. Question is when I connect the hot can I "wrap" it around gold screw and then go directly to the "load" screw and then to next outlet or is the "load" wire a totally new wire
The power is connected to the line 'gold' screw and nothing else. The neutral (white) is connected to the line, silver, in the same manner.
The down-stream receptacles have the neutral fed from load silver and the hot from the load gold.

DO NOT JUMPER THE TERMINALS!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

help GFI wiring

You do not wrap the screws. You strip the wires and insert then into the holes and tighten the clamp screws.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

help GFI wiring

Thanks guys so I'm guessing the ground and neutral are ran the same as the hots? so every outlet will have basically "new" wires connecting the next outlet
jvap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

help GFI wiring

Once downstream of the GFI and wired to the load terminals you can use regular duplex receptacles. These do not have line and load.

Be sure to pigtail all the grounds and connect to the GFI, and the box if metallic.