Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

HELP GFCI nightmare in kitchen

Ok, here is my issue. I have three wires coming into my into one of the box's in my kitchen. The outlet is near the sink, so i need to make the outlet a GFCI. The problem that i am running into is that this same box, also houses a light switch. I can get the outlet to stay on when the switch is off, but as soon as i flip the switch for the light, the circuit in the outlet blows. Please help. i have attached the a picture with the wiring details.
jh12640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Electrician

Of course the breaker blows you are causeing a dead short when ever you flip the switch.

Remove the wire from the switch to the plug and put what ever your switching on the switch.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

It is a MWBC (Multi-Wire Branch Circuit). First thing you will have to do, is go find out where the Red wire is hooked up, and kill it. Otherwise, if you want two outlets, with one being a regular, and the other the GFCI, you could do it, but only one would be protected as a GFCI.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Of course the breaker blows you are causing a dead short when ever you flip the switch.

Remove the wire from the switch to the plug and put what ever your switching on the switch.

Darren, so when i remove the top red wire that runs from the outlet to the switch, everything should be good?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

ok you got three sets of wires. one coming in, one going out to other plugs, and one coming from the light. in a kitcken the national electric code says you should have 2 circuits for kitchen plugs. if it is an old house you may only have one. that beings said, every plug does not have to be a gfi. only the first one on the circut needs to be and it protects the rest of the plugs on that circuit. if you have a gfi in the kitche check to see if that is protected other wise you are just putting in a 15 dollar plug when you can put a 1.50 dollar plug. the wiring should go like this

1) the hot coming in needs to have 2 "whips" added to it which is wirenutting 2 6-8 inch black wires to the hot
2) one hot goes to the switch the other to gfi if you add one (the gfi has 4 sets of holes in two groups. one that protects other plugs and on that does not) the hot coming in goes into the set that does not on the gold screw. (if it is new it will have a yellow sticker on the holes that protect other sockets) put it in the other set of holes
3) attach the hot from the light to the switch
4) wirenut the neutral coming in with the neutral to the light and add a white "whip" the white whip needs to go in the gfi on the silver screw where you put the black
5) the other set of wires that goes to the other plugs needs to go to the gfi that protects other circuits (white to silver, black to gold)
6) get some copper crimps and crimp all the grounds together pick out the 2 longest ones and cut the rest off at the crimp
7) attach one ground to the gfi and another to the switch
8) turn the power back on step zero is turn the power off i hope you work on this with the power off!
bluebird5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

bluebird....i am very much a novice when it comes to electrical wiring. would it be possible to get a drawing of what your talking about? I'm sorry, i am just not following what your saying.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

haha im not that good wir computers! where did you draw your picture?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

check this link in the next post

Last edited by bluebird5; 02-06-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: ok
Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...47/circuit.gif
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Master Electrician

The neutral for your light must come off the load side of the GFI. The way it is drawn the neutral to the fixture is on the line side. The way it is shown will create an imbalnce between the load and line when the switch is thrown

Last edited by brric; 02-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #11

thanks bluebird, i will give that a try.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #12

"The neutral for your light must come off the load side of the GFI. The way it is drawn the neutral to the fixture is on the linne side. "
why would you want it on the load? they either both need to be on the line or both on the load depending if you want the light to trip with the gfi.

Last edited by bluebird5; 02-06-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: just cause