Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Share |

Help finding the right bulb

I just bought a house with a large shop/garage. On top of the garage is some sort of aluminum luminaire similar to this one. My problem is that I've put 2 bulbs in there already, and they've both burned out within 2-3 days (one was a 100w CFL and the other was a 150w halogen). I can hear a faint buzzing noise coming from the unit, which makes me think it's got a ballast (HPS? Metal Halide?). I tried reading the label on the fixture, but it's so faded and cracked that I couldn't read anything from it at all. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I would find the correct bulb for this unit?

rob_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

you... managed... to put... regular... light bulbs... in there... wow.

Yeah, those are usually HPS in my area, typically 175W.

If you really don't know, you'll want to open it up (POWER OFF, OF COURSE), and read the labels on the side of the ballast to find out what type of lamp it actually takes.

Interesting... I've always wondered what would happen if someone screwed a regular bulb into one of those... thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

when the light did work...was it a white light or yellow...? yellow is HPS and white is MTH...as far as the wattage of the lamp, you would either have to read the old lamp or look on the ballast
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emolatur View Post
you... managed... to put... regular... light bulbs... in there... wow.

Yeah, those are usually HPS in my area, typically 175W.

If you really don't know, you'll want to open it up (POWER OFF, OF COURSE), and read the labels on the side of the ballast to find out what type of lamp it actually takes.

Interesting... I've always wondered what would happen if someone screwed a regular bulb into one of those... thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
The bulb I pulled out of it was simply labeled "Phillips 100w HG". I took it to Home Depot, and they were pretty clueless. It just looked like a standard bulb to me, so obviously the prior owners didn't know any better either. The light never worked, by the way, so I don't know what color the light was originally.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

http://www.lightbulbsurplus.com/inde...roducts_id=470

100watt HPS
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Normally most dusk to dawn useally have specfic bulb to use with it and with HPS you must follow the wattage or ANSI code number on the ballast or on the lamp socket it will be printed if you can't read it then check the ballast they will have it stamped in there as well.

Most common HPS { Orange colour } wattage will be 70 or 100 or 150 watts on Dusk To Dawn luminare

Metal Halide verison will useally have enclosed bottom and useally 100 watts PSMH { Pulse start Metal Halide } Few case 70 watts as well { Once a while snag a 150/175 watter MH }

SCFL - Super Compact Flourscent DTD I have see that few places but only one quirk is very cold weather operations some may not lit up very well.

Mercury Vapour .,,,, That pretty much anquite now power hog DTD luminaire I just ditch them and get new one as I listed above.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Normally most dusk to dawn useally have specfic bulb to use with it and with HPS you must follow the wattage or ANSI code number on the ballast or on the lamp socket it will be printed if you can't read it then check the ballast they will have it stamped in there as well.

Most common HPS { Orange colour } wattage will be 70 or 100 or 150 watts on Dusk To Dawn luminare

Metal Halide verison will useally have enclosed bottom and useally 100 watts PSMH { Pulse start Metal Halide } Few case 70 watts as well { Once a while snag a 150/175 watter MH }

SCFL - Super Compact Flourscent DTD I have see that few places but only one quirk is very cold weather operations some may not lit up very well.

Mercury Vapour .,,,, That pretty much anquite now power hog DTD luminaire I just ditch them and get new one as I listed above.

Merci.
Marc
Great advice, thanks Marc!