Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help Finding PIR Ceiling-Mount Outdoor Motion Sensor

What's happening, kids? Got a question for you all.

We live in (and own) a 2-flat (2-floor apartment sort of dwelling) that we're converting into a single family home. In the rear of the home, there are two porches connected with an exterior staircase. Although the stairs will disappear sometime in the future, they are here to stay for several years yet.

Recently I removed all of the electrical associated with the code-disaster of existing, exterior lighting that was on the back porches. I want to install new lighting and we want the fixtures controlled by PIR motion sensors from two locations (top and bottom floor doors).

I want to install ceiling-mounted PIR detectors at both landings instead of the more typical stem-mounted units. I figured that this would be easy to find but after a length of time spent trying to find something, I cannot.

Does anyone know of a ceiling mounted, PIR motion detector, rated for damp/exterior locations, having variable on-delay with an integral photocell to bypass lighting during day light hours? I'm at a loss!

And BTW. As my inspector and I joke about the number of ground rods at a service entrance: Just keep pounding them in until you find the gas line!

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
What's happening, kids? Got a question for you all.

We live in (and own) a 2-flat (2-floor apartment sort of dwelling) that we're converting into a single family home. In the rear of the home, there are two porches connected with an exterior staircase. Although the stairs will disappear sometime in the future, they are here to stay for several years yet.

Recently I removed all of the electrical associated with the code-disaster of existing, exterior lighting that was on the back porches. I want to install new lighting and we want the fixtures controlled by PIR motion sensors from two locations (top and bottom floor doors).

I want to install ceiling-mounted PIR detectors at both landings instead of the more typical stem-mounted units. I figured that this would be easy to find but after a length of time spent trying to find something, I cannot.

Does anyone know of a ceiling mounted, PIR motion detector, rated for damp/exterior locations, having variable on-delay with an integral photocell to bypass lighting during day light hours? I'm at a loss!

And BTW. As my inspector and I joke about the number of ground rods at a service entrance: Just keep pounding them in until you find the gas line!

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy
Lutron?

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 4

Pass and Seymour used to have ceiling mounted sensors.

How many rods does your inspector think you need? More than 2 are never needed.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Special User

Rewards Points: 0

Utilitech UT-5316-WH is a "replacement sensor head". It looks to have a standard threaded nipple that goes into a standard electrical box "knockout" hole. It may take a little hunting, but your local home improvement store should have some kind of exterior-rated junction box cover with a knockout hole in it.
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 18

Watt Stopper

http://www.wattstopper.com/