Help! Exposed Wire In My Chandelier?! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help! exposed wire in my chandelier?!

hi everyone! i have a question about my chandelier i got second-hand. the wire coming out of the top (where you would connect it to the ceiling wire) has exposed wire. the wrapped wire is spliced into two, but then theres just a plain old third wire, coming out of the chandelier, running all the way up next to the wrapped wire. im assuming this is unsafe. and im also assuming i need to connect all three wires to the box in the ceiling. also, the wires are not color coded. SO, do i have to re wire this? if so, am i going to have to take this whole thing apart and re wire the arms too? (it has 10 arms! ahhh!) what should i do?? i have no idea where to ever start...

Advertisement

ashleyrae24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

U have to rewire all ten arms

The double wire is ur hot and neutral. The one with the ribbed side is the neutral and the other is ur hot. The bare wire is ur ground wire. This is normal and safe

Advertisement

heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heartlessmcfly For This Useful Post:
ashleyrae24 (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Why do you think you need to rewire it? The bare wire coming up the chain is the ground wire as stated.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

ok...the bare wire is the ground wire, which i would hook up to the green wire in the box, right? the other two go to the white and black...got it. i didnt know there was a "ground" wire, bc the current chandelier thats up doesnt have that, it only has the hot and neutral connected...so, now im hoping the box is even grounded. also, i have two switches for the same fixture, so im assuming theres going to be even more wires to attach to the white and black wires. im just thankfull that wire is normal andi dont have to rewire it! thanks guys!!!
ashleyrae24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Whatever the old fixture was wired to, that's what the new fixture goes to. He ground is green yes
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote