Help Electrician Failed To Show.NEWB Post - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help electrician failed to show.NEWB post

Hi all,first off I'me not an electrician and I don't play one on YouTube!I'me pouring a new pool deck and putting an alumawood lattuce cover up.The electrician was supposed to meet me today to go over my conduit so I can keep the rest of the schedule on track.
What I want;
-1ea. 2 port weatherproof plug outlet.
-1ea. directional light toward bbq.With switch.
-2ea. overhead lights.Can be on same switch with existing porch light.
What I have;
-1 porch light with switch inside slider.
What I'me proposing;
Start 3/4"EMT directly outside the house from the inside wall switch,down the wall sweep toward lattuce cover post(appx.25') sweep up thru (soon to be)post footing and terminate appx. 2' above proposed finish surface.Underground run to be 16" to 22"below finish surface, rope to be installed in conduit,and all connections to be compression fittings.I have more questions but this cold is kicking my butt and i need a little break.I greatly appreciate any and all help.Thank you,Lee

Advertisement

gotsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I may be wrong and out of text but I'm not sure what help you're looking for. It appears to me that you have your mind made up on certain details and that's how it's done ?? Did our electrician not show up?

Advertisement

Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super33 View Post
I may be wrong and out of text but I'm not sure what help you're looking for. It appears to me that you have your mind made up on certain details and that's how it's done ?? Did our electrician not show up?
Sorry I was'nt clear,my head is fuzzy so please bear with me.Will what I am proposing work,can I run off existing light switch,is emt size ok,is that depth good.In other words I don't want to pour 15 yards of concrete and then find out i've got the wrong stuff under it for the lighting i want.
Electrician is a friend of a friend.And thank you fo quick response.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Are you proposing to do this yourself?

WHY are you using EMT??? PVC is the way to go.

Is the pool wired and bonded???
Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Are you proposing to do this yourself?

WHY are you using EMT??? PVC is the way to go.

Is the pool wired and bonded???
Yes, the conduit run at least,the wiring if I can learn enough on this site!
My reasoning is the two sections of conduit that will be visable the emt will look better.Is pvc better thru concrete?
Yes the pool is 30 years old,remodeled last year.But that brings up another question,I originally was going to see about running the landscape lighting from the same place as the deck,but my pool equipment is on the other side of the pool(all landscaped area).So can a transformer be run off the pool light switch for the landscape lighting(nothing will be under concrete).
Thanks again for any hep you can give me, Lee
Old 05-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsig View Post
Yes, the conduit run at least,the wiring if I can learn enough on this site!
My reasoning is the two sections of conduit that will be visable the emt will look better.Is pvc better thru concrete?
Yes the pool is 30 years old,remodeled last year.But that brings up another question,I originally was going to see about running the landscape lighting from the same place as the deck,but my pool equipment is on the other side of the pool(all landscaped area).So can a transformer be run off the pool light switch for the landscape lighting(nothing will be under concrete).
Thanks again for any hep you can give me, Lee
The EMT should not be used in concrete. We use PVC for that. And yes nice shiny EMT looks great when it is first installed but it will rust. If it was me doing it I would use PVC for everything. Just add more straps to the PVC it helps to keep it straight.
rong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rong1 View Post
The EMT should not be used in concrete. We use PVC for that. And yes nice shiny EMT looks great when it is first installed but it will rust. If it was me doing it I would use PVC for everything. Just add more straps to the PVC it helps to keep it straight.
Sounds good,is schedule 40 good for the entire run or do I need 80 for thru the concrete?
thanks,Lee
Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Sounds good,is schedule 40 good for the entire run or do I need 80 for thru the concrete?
thanks,Lee
Schedule 40 is great for this use. Be sure to tie the pipe down as it may float to the top if you don't.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rong1 View Post
Schedule 40 is great for this use. Be sure to tie the pipe down as it may float to the top if you don't.
Will do.Just thought is 3/4 pvc going to be big enough?The way I,me thinking I need 2 sets of wire,one switched for the lights and one hot for the plug outlet.Please forgive me if the terminology is wrong!
Thanks, Lee
Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Will do.Just thought is 3/4 pvc going to be big enough?The way I,me thinking I need 2 sets of wire,one switched for the lights and one hot for the plug outlet.Please forgive me if the terminology is wrong!
Thanks, Lee

Just remember this when installing pipe in concrete...it is almost forever. I would use 1" for wiggle room....maybe even a 1" and a 3/4. It has been my experience that there is always something more added down the line. If you do install an extra pipe (it is pretty cheap at this stage) be sure and plug and seal the pipe you did not use.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #11

3/4' is FINE. Remember, you are running conductors, NOT cable.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
3/4' is FINE. Remember, you are running conductors, NOT cable.

Good point Speedy(of course). If you use THWN single conductors and not UF cable then you will be fine with 3/4. But again if it was me I would run a 1" and a 3/4/. I am sure this is way overkill...or maybe just add a conduit under the slab and beyond it a bit so if ever you wanted to add more you have it there to use.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #13

Thanks, you guys are being a tremendous help.Exactly what wires will need to be ran for my application?I still want to have a pro do all the connections,but probably the more I have done the less it will cost me!
Lee
Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #14

Rong, my concern is terminating two 1" pipes in a single gang FS type box. With conductors and 3/4" there is no problem.

gotsig, I have to humbly tell you, many (real) electricians don't like messing with work someone else started. Especially after wires are pulled.
I can an honestly say, you will not save much money doing that much work. Getting the pipes in the ground will save you some....some money, but you had better hoped you got EVERYTHING right. Digging up to add pipe is not a good (or easy) thing to have to do.

Have someone come over and lay out the conduit paths for you, get the pipe in the ground, and have him come back and pull the wire and finish the job. You'll both be happier that way.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Rong, my concern is terminating two 1" pipes in a single gang FS type box. With conductors and 3/4" there is no problem.

gotsig, I have to humbly tell you, many (real) electricians don't like messing with work someone else started. Especially after wires are pulled.
I can an honestly say, you will not save much money doing that much work. Getting the pipes in the ground will save you some....some money, but you had better hoped you got EVERYTHING right. Digging up to add pipe is not a good (or easy) thing to have to do.

Have someone come over and lay out the conduit paths for you, get the pipe in the ground, and have him come back and pull the wire and finish the job. You'll both be happier that way.
Hummmmm I did not consider the FS Box...(ashamed at myself for that!) But the do make a FS box for this purpose which I know you are aware of but I dont know if "Joe Homeowner would have access to it.

And I agree with Speedy again here. I myself would much rather do the whole job rather than following up after someone. I even hate to finish a job that another electrician has started !

Advertisement