Help With Electrical Timers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with electrical timers

We are leaving the country for a few months but want to keep our house conditioned meaning we are afraid with the humid air here in SE Texas moisture could cause mold growth inour house. I have a big AC unit built into the wall of my house that has the big 220-240 30/50 amp plug. much like a Dryer or Oven receptacle. I almost ordered Intermatics HB112 but at the last min noticed the plug was too small. I need the same thing but with a big 220 receptacle.I think it is called either a 30 amp or 50 amp plug. Can anyone help me find this? Thanks

Advertisement

gene.hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

If you are trying to keep the house conditioned, then you don't want a timer on the air conditioner. You want a thermostat. It probably already has one. Why don't you just set the thermostat to a reasonably high temperature?

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If you are trying to keep the house conditioned, then you don't want a timer on the air conditioner. You want a thermostat. It probably already has one. Why don't you just set the thermostat to a reasonably high temperature?
Well for one its a window unit that was contructed into a wall. I wouldnt want it to run around the clock. I would feel better if it was able to shut off, its controls are pretty simple, it would always be running reguardless of tempature setting, this creates the issue of it getting backed up with condensation and leaking back into the house in some instances. If it were allowed time to dry up with being shut down through out the day it would bypass such an issue...Intermatic makes the timer I want..it just doesnt come in the right plug/or amps I need . I am on here seeing if anyone knows of such a timer.

Thanks for your thoughts.
gene.hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Just pay someone to check on the house every week. It would be the cheapest and simplest solution.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Just pay someone to check on the house every week. It would be the cheapest and simplest solution.
It is probably also required by your insurance carrier if you want coverage to be in force for things like leaking pipes.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

We did it for one of my wife's old vp for the company she works for. Dropped by a couple times a week to check things out, make it look lived in. Came time to sell, we would make sure the realtors visiting did not leave lights on, or the hvac set too high for heat. In turn, it worked out for us in the long run.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

What runs is the fan, not the compressor regardless of temperature settings. When the fan runs it isn't condensing ie: creating any condensation. A higher temperature, as suggested would be the proper way to approach this, other than having someone check on the house from time to time.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene.hall View Post
Well for one its a window unit that was contructed into a wall. I wouldnt want it to run around the clock. I would feel better if it was able to shut off, its controls are pretty simple, it would always be running reguardless of tempature setting
If it has a thermostat, then it won't run continuously. It will only run when it's too hot. The fan might run continuously (which is not a problem), but the compressor will only come on when the thermostat tells it to. Putting a thermostatically-controlled device on a timer is kind of pointless.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote