Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Help with Electrical Outlet

I recently purchased an LG 37" Flat Panel TV. I plugged it on 11/24 and everything was working fine until this morning (11/28) when the tv ubruptly shut off. I tried turning it back on and nothing. I figured the outlet went bad so I bought another one and installed it. I plugged the tv back in and still nothing, I also plugged a lamp in and nothing. I checked the outlet with my tester and it said "Open Neutral". Obviously something is wrong. I checked all other outlets in the room and they were correct. In addition, I plugged the tv into other outlests and it worked fine.

Also, I checked circuit breaker box and everything looked good too? Can someone tell me what my next step should be?

nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Oldguy

Some electricians 'backstab' the wires into the outlets (push straight stripped wires into holes on the back side of the outlet) This connection can cause problems down the road. Check the outlet(s) closest to the bad one for a bad neutral connection.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Electrician Apprentice

Turn off the breaker for that plug, go around the house and check for any light switch that may be on that circuit, the Open Neutral could be in the switch box.

Last edited by puma1277; 11-28-2007 at 12:27 PM.
puma1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
waiting for spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1277 View Post
Turn off the breaker for that plug, go around the house and check for any light switch that may be on that circuit, in could be in the switch box.

if there are switches that he checks that ARENT on that breaker, well thats a bad situation. by telling him to check "all around the house", he will surely encounter a switch that isnt on that breaker. plus, neutrals are usually wirenutted in a switchbox, which could be the culprit, but he stated that other outlets worked. chances are it is the outlet in series right before the defective one.

start with turning off the breaker, and finding out what outlets ARE on it. verify with a tester to make sure there is no power to the outlets, then pull them out, one by one and check all the conections. you have a loose neutral somewhere.
arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Electrician Apprentice

Quote:
if there are switches that he checks that ARENT on that breaker, well thats a bad situation. by telling him to check "all around the house",
Go point arichard21
puma1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #6

Did you do any other electrical work since you plugged in your TV? Why did you initially suspect a bad outlet when your TV quit working without testing? The outlets are probably in series, and unless this is the last outlet in the run all other downstream outlets will also show an open neutral. You need to find out what outlets and switches are on the circuit and test them for an open neutral. This lone outlet may be getting its power from another room. It is easier to test the circuit, than to start taking out all of the outlets and inspecting. Work your way outward from the last good outlet and you will find your problem. If you find any with a backstabbed connection. You should reconnect them properly, but at 1.00-1.50 each I would replace them.

47_47 is online now   Reply With Quote