HELP!! Ceiling Fan Light Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

HELP!! Ceiling Fan Light Problem

I just installed this ceiling fan http://www.lumens.com/Ball-Hugger-Ce...KDJLCI/product with the 75w halogen lighting option and everything is working great except when I go to turn on the light. I've got it connected to a fan/light speed/dimmer switch and when I go to turn the light on, I can only go to 3/4 ways with the switch and if I go all the way, the light flashes then turns off. If I just leave it at 3/4 the light stays on no problems.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Need to get a different dimmer switch.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Need to get a different dimmer switch.
Different in which way? The current one is rated at a max 300w. Or what is the reason for a different one?

Thanks in advance.
bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Different in the fact, that it is causing the strobbing. If using Halogen or CFL lamps, you have the wrong dimmer switch.

"
Dimming lights with built-in transformers

Fully loaded halogen transformers usually dim quite well. If you are planning to dim halogen light transformers, try only dim traditional transformes, because toroidal core transformer do not usully dim well. Most of the cheap halogen light transformers belong to this category as well as the transformer in for example PAR36 pinspot lights. When dimming transformers it is a good idea to put a fuse in sereis with the transformer primary so that it will blow when transfromer tries to get too much power from the line. This will protect the transformer from overhating which might be caused because of transformer core saturation (which might be caused by small DC bias caused by not very well operating dimmer). A proper fuse will save transformers from burning out.
If your halogen light system uses an electronic transformer then you must very carefully check if it can be dimmed. Some of the electronic transformers are made dimmable and work well with traditional light dimmers. The ones which are not ment to be dimmed can be damaged by the dimming."

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/l...immer.html.old

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-31-2011 at 02:44 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote