Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with breaker tripping

We just bought a house, It has a AC hole In the Kitchen,We put in our Friedrich 1350 AC in. (used all the spec they said 24 inch from ceiling ect,ect.) Now every time I turn the kitchen light on the breaker trips. I know your not supposed to use a extension cord but to test things out I used one. The breaker trips the lights, but the AC stays on ? It is plugged into a reg plug that is right under the AC like it was put there for the AC.{ In my old place the AC plug was a special plug I guess a 220} Anyway I unplugged the dryer and plugged the extension cord in that plug and the kitchen lights still trips I tried other plugs in the house and every time I plugged it in the" kitchen tripped". How can it trip a room when it is plugged into a different part of the house? This Makes no since to me. How can you plug it into another room and it stills blows the breaker from a different room. Any hints will be helpful. Thank you

connie3190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

Does the kitchen light work without the AC plugged in?

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
sublime2 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

we have to flip the breaker to the ON position, after we unplug the AC. If we leave the AC plugged in, but have it turned off, the kitchen lights will trip off. We have to unplug the AC totally. like I said in the post. Even if we run an extension cord to the washer or dryer plug it still trips the kitchen. That makes no sense they are on different lines. The washer an dryer have there own trip switch's. I think the answer to your question is yes the kitchen lights work when the AC is unplugged. Sorry it took long to answer we are working on lots of things.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie3190 View Post
we have to flip the breaker to the ON position, after we unplug the AC. If we leave the AC plugged in, but have it turned off, the kitchen lights will trip off. We have to unplug the AC totally. like I said in the post. Even if we run an extension cord to the washer or dryer plug it still trips the kitchen. That makes no sense they are on different lines. The washer an dryer have there own trip switch's. I think the answer to your question is yes the kitchen lights work when the AC is unplugged. Sorry it took long to answer we are working on lots of things.
Try changing the receptacle for the A/C.
Could be bad and causing the short.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

What do you mean changing the receptacle ? If you mean plugging it in another socket did that already still trips. If you mean change the plug entirely we did that already to
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

The A/C unit itself my be bad.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

No its new
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #8

Connie, I'm afraid you're going to have to think a bit before you re-write this. It's difficult to understand what the problem is, what you've done, etc.

Quote:
We just bought a house, It has a AC hole In the Kitchen,We put in our Friedrich 1350 AC in. (used all the spec they said 24 inch from ceiling ect,ect.) Now every time I turn the kitchen light on the breaker trips.

What did you do to cause this? Apparently the kitchen lighting was fine before you did something.

Perhaps you have an overload on the circuit? Is the A/C is on the lighting circuit?

Quote:
I know your not supposed to use a extension cord but to test things out I used one.

An extension cord plugged into a dryer receptacle?

Quote:
The breaker trips the lights, but the AC stays on ?
Normally something trips a breaker. Of course, if you flip the breaker switch, something will stop working.

Quote:
It is plugged into a reg plug that is right under the AC like it was put there for the AC.{ In my old place the AC plug was a special plug I guess a 220}

What is plugged into a reg plug?

Quote:
Anyway I unplugged the dryer
Now we're dealing with a 30 amp dryer receptacle?

Quote:
and plugged the extension cord in that plug
and the kitchen lights still trips I tried other plugs in the house and every time I plugged it in the" kitchen tripped". How can it trip a room when it is plugged into a different part of the house? This Makes no since to me. How can you plug it into another room and it stills blows the breaker from a different room. Any hints will be helpful. Thank you[/QUOTE]
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

What did you do to cause this? Apparently the kitchen lighting was fine before you did something. The Kitchen light was fine ,what happened was it got hot and we plugged in the AC. When we bought this house it has an AC sleeve in the wall. We put Our AC that we bought in 2011, its a Friedrich 1350.The manual said the unit must be 24 inch from the ceiling. It is. We had really hot weather last week so we plugged in the AC it was not plugged in before. Perhaps you have an overload on the circuit? Is the A/C is on the lighting circuit. I am not sure what this means? On the breaker (# 25 ) its says Kitchen. When we plugged the AC in the receptacle the lights went out. I had to unplug the AC for the Lights to come back on. An extension cord plugged into a dryer receptacle? I was trying to see if the AC would work if I plugged it into a different receptacle;s I tried the washer and the dryer plugs they each have there own breakers. The washer has its own breaker and the dryer has its own breaker. I hope you are understanding me. I was just saying I was testing other receptacles. But every time I just plugged it in the kitchen lights would blow.
Normally something trips a breaker. Of course, if you flip the breaker switch, something will stop working. I don't understand this question.
What is plugged into a reg plug? The washer and the dryers have different plugs. They are one plug each. I hope you are understanding me. Most receptacles have 2 plugs. They are in an alcove with one plug above each,( IE: Washer ,Dryer)Now we're dealing with a 30 amp dryer receptacle? Yes but I am not sure. I was just wondering how if I plugged the AC in a different plug, how can the it trip the kitchen. when its plugged into a different area Entirely. I hope this answers your questions, If not I will try an answer more questions if you have any. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. This house stuff is new to us. We lived in an apt in the Bronx,NY for yrs we never had to deal with this stuff.thanks again.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
What did you do to cause this? Apparently the kitchen lighting was fine before you did something. The Kitchen light was fine ,what happened was it got hot and we plugged in the AC. When we bought this house it has an AC sleeve in the wall. We put Our AC that we bought in 2011, its a Friedrich 1350.The manual said the unit must be 24 inch from the ceiling. It is. We had really hot weather last week so we plugged in the AC it was not plugged in before. Perhaps you have an overload on the circuit? Is the A/C is on the lighting circuit. I am not sure what this means? On the breaker (# 25 ) its says Kitchen. When we plugged the AC in the receptacle the lights went out. I had to unplug the AC for the Lights to come back on. An extension cord plugged into a dryer receptacle? I was trying to see if the AC would work if I plugged it into a different receptacle;s I tried the washer and the dryer plugs they each have there own breakers. The washer has its own breaker and the dryer has its own breaker. I hope you are understanding me. I was just saying I was testing other receptacles. But every time I just plugged it in the kitchen lights would blow.
Normally something trips a breaker. Of course, if you flip the breaker switch, something will stop working. I don't understand this question.
What is plugged into a reg plug? The washer and the dryers have different plugs. They are one plug each. I hope you are understanding me. Most receptacles have 2 plugs. They are in an alcove with one plug above each,( IE: Washer ,Dryer)Now we're dealing with a 30 amp dryer receptacle? Yes but I am not sure. I was just wondering how if I plugged the AC in a different plug, how can the it trip the kitchen. when its plugged into a different area Entirely. I hope this answers your questions, If not I will try an answer more questions if you have any. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. This house stuff is new to us. We lived in an apt in the Bronx,NY for yrs we never had to deal with this stuff.thanks again.

OK Connie... This is difficult because you are not too familiar with homeownership.

So, by the numbers

1) With all your breakers on, just plug in your AC. (DON"T TURN ON...THERE IS A DIFFERENCE).

2) Does your kitchen light work. If not, tell me what breaker was tripped (use its number to identify it). I'm assuming your light is working fine.

3) Now turn on your A/c. I'm assuming that breaker 25 (and only breaker 25) tripped and your kitchen light will not work. (That's what you told us before) but the AC is still working.

4) Turn off your AC, reset your breakers, and plug your AC into the washer outlet and turn your AC on. I'm assuming your kitchenlight just went out and plwease tell me the breaker that was tripped.I syour AC working?

Repeat #4) With the dryer (I am assuming it is a gas dryer, please tell me if it is not,,, because something here does not make sense). Your light shoulds have tripped off according to you... tell me what breaker(s) were tripped.Is your AC working.?

In the above cases, please tell me if any of the tripped breakers had a clip on its handle tying it to another breaker... in essence, were two breakers tripped.

Best

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Connie... You brought this Friedrich AC from another place, does it have it's original plug on it, and do you understand a 240 from a 120 plug.