Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

HELP! basement circuit proposal

As a VERY new member here, I am hoping someone will be able to tell me if these circuit loads look okay. I am trying to wire my unfinished basement and want to avoid adding a sub panel if possible. I want to make sure this looks feasible before I figure out the actual wiring routes and then bring it to the city for a permit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make sure I am doing everything correctly!

I have a big version of this image posted at ( I cannot get it to post to this site): http://picasaweb.google.com/katycoxN...59945900383842

Last edited by falcoOat; 07-27-2010 at 09:06 PM.
falcoOat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Very nice drawing. If I were you I would separate the treadmill from the water softener. I would also run the family room and office receptacles on a 20 amp circuit for more capacity.

Depending on which code cycle is enforce you will need AFCI protection and tamper-resistant receptacles. Unfinished areas will need GFI protection for the receptacles.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Electrician

If you have future plans to install a bathroom down there, this would be the time to run the wiring for your required 20A receptacle. Also, think about if you will be wanting supplemental heat, whether it be a toe-kick heater or a heater built into the exhaust fan, they will most likely need a dedicated circuit.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Thank you for those replies, they are very helpful!

Since I am trying to work with the circuits I have I wasn't sure where to put the water softener. Since it only runs in the middle of the night I thought this was the best bet, especially since I am currently running everything, including the treadmill, softener, TV, fan, DVD, etc. off of the one currently existing GFI outlet.

Since the utility/storage area of the basement will always remain unfinished, can I install a GFI receptacle at the water softener and have that serve as the the GFI receptacle that code requires for unfinished areas?

Also, I will plan on upgrading all new circuits to 20amps with AFCI breakers, which I think is indeed required around here. I am still considering baseboard heat, but have no circuits left to work with. I will be wiring this myself for budgetary reasons, but am having someone come in to add a circuit to the existing box and do the 15-20amp upgrades. Do you know if adding a small sub panel is expensive? I am sure it is worth it, but it could be the difference in putting the project off for another year or two to save more, and we REALLY need to space now. I have taped all the duct work, rigid and foam sealed/insulated all the walls and joists, and we do have forced heat and A/C vents in the ceiling so I think we will be okay. Heck I have been down there in the middle of winter without all that and could stand it, and I live in Fargo, ND!
falcoOat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Electrician

You can pickup a 6-12 space SquareD Homeline panel at Home Depot for $15.99. Normal size breakers are about $3 and tandems are about $8.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, circuit, diagram, electrical, wiring