Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Help Adding Recessed For a Room NOT Wired For Ceilling Lighting

I have a family room that is not wired for any ceiling lighting. The only switch in the room operates an outlet. I'd like to add recessed ceiling lighting, but I have no idea how I'm going to wire it. The switch is at the very edge of the house where the roof meets the ceiling, so there's no space in the attic to try and drill into the wall space.

I'm sure someone's done something like this before. The only thing I can think of is the one of the wireless light switches, which seems really cheesy. Any help?

Creelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

I remember seeing a trick for getting a hole to an attic through finished walls. Get a long drill bit (appropriately sized diameter) and drill through the wall from below at an angle close to the ceiling. Drill as close to the ceiling as possible above your outlet switch you would use for the lights at an angle up into the attic. The angle of the hole should make it through a 2x4 top plate as close to center as possible. You would have to then repair the inside wall where you drilled through. Once you get that hole you can fish your wires from switch in wall to fixtures in attic..

Sssuiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

some switches are wired using a switch loop that has no neutral. They should investigate first to find out where to get power from. Also the there needs to be reserve capacity to power the lights without tripping the breaker.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

If there are wires in your attic with constant power, you may be able to set a junction box and use something like an Insteon in-linelinc, which wirelessly triggers a solenoid to switch power to your lights. They are obviously more expensive than a standard wall switch but much less hassle as it requires no physical wire between the wall switch and the switched object.

Last edited by asimba2; 03-03-2011 at 03:49 PM.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

I have installed a fan/light combo in this situation before. I laid down plywood across the roof trusses so i could lay down by the wall/roof intersection. I then used a a 90 degree adapter for my drill to drill down in the wall top plate and fed my wire down. I think i pigtailed power from the other swith in the box that controlled the outlet. It was not that great of a time. If i did it again I would put the switch on an interior wall that is easier to acces from attic.
avmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

i did something like this too, but mine was on the main floor with an upsatirs. i unfortunately had to put an extra hole in the top of the wall and patch it to get a hole through the top plate.

baum is offline   Reply With Quote