Help!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help!!

i live in an older house built in the 1960's we have an old edison fuse box? well i tryd to change an outlet in our kitchen i took out the main fuse so there was no power in the whole house i changed the outlet put the main fuse back in and it blew the whole kitchen i took the new outlet back off and made sure everything was okay and it was i put another new fuse in it blew again. (gone threw 2 boxs of 30 tl fuses)
i contacted an electrician thats a family friend they said make sure that the material around the copper wires hasnt desinigrated and the wires arnt touching because if they are the fuse will blow and if they are tape that part off with electrical tape i did made sure nothing was touching and the fuse keeps blowing, i dont know what to do we have no power in the kitchen, i looked at the fuse box and took out the kitchen fuse the fustat fuse adapter looks like it could be blown? i dont know. im just woundering if i should change the fustat fuse adapter then try to add a new fuse other than that i have no idea what to do.

Advertisement

Last edited by amandac1431; 08-27-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: HELP EDISON FUSE BOX
amandac1431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Help!!

Take a look at the original outlet---was the tab removed between the two gold screws? did the original outlet have two wires on the hot screws?

Do you have a tester? Or a friendly electrician?

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Help!!

i dont think so i did put a new outlet on and i put everything back the way i found it, and when i was told to make sure no metal was touching there was alot that could have been the problem so i taped that all up i jsut think its something diffrent now maybe in the box
amandac1431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 201

Help!!

read his question again and respond here.

oh mike - "Take a look at the original outlet---was the tab removed between the two gold screws? did the original outlet have two wires on the hot screws?"

hopefully you can dig the original out of the trash.

and, do you have/know how to use a meter?

**don't install any more fuses until you answer these questions or seek electrician help.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-28-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help!!

I'm wondering why its a 30a fuse ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote