Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help

I am trying to install a ceiling fan where there is an existing light, have done plenty of times. What i got in the ceiling is 4 wires meaning 4 sets of 3 white black and ground. 1 is constant power, 1 goes to 2 receptacles, 1 goes to 1 receptacle, and the other is the switch. i have tried to connect it just as it was with the fan and then back to the light and cannot get either to work with switch if i wire to constant hot the light will work so i know there is power and the fixture is not bad. it had all white wired together, all ground together, 3 black from receptacles and constant together, and black from switch line connected to black from light line. Can't figure out whats going on maybe the switch is bad any help would be appreciated thanks.

Advertisement

dirtdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

help

First, turn off the power. On most fans, there's 3 wires. The white obviously goes to the white, the black is usually for the fan and the blue is usually for the light. You'll probably want to put the light on the wall switch so splice that blue from the fan to the wire going to the switch. Splice the black from the fan to the constant hot, this will enable the pullchain to control the fan. Turn the power back on and test the fan. The fan should work from the pullchain, the light should work from the wall switch, if the light isn't working, pull the pullchain on the fan that controls the light, that might turn the light on, leave it on and continue using the wall switch. If the light still isn't working let us know and we can help you through some troubleshooting.

Advertisement

Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #3

help

this is in a mobile home and in the ceiling box i have 4 wires joining wich means 12 seperate wires in all if i connect them exactly like they were and re install the original light fixture i cant get power to the fixture. im using just a light fixture to try and diagnose the problem before reinstalling the fan its lighter and easier to deal with. ive got 1 wire for power 2 that go to wall receptacles and 1 that goes to a standard 2 wire control switch(only has connection for 1 black and 1 white wire no ground or anything) ive tried installing the way it was and with the fan as you stated but i cannot get power to the fixture no matter if i use the light or the fan. all the wires in the ceiling were connected to their corresponding color wire except for the black coming from the switch it was connected to the lights black wire. all all 4 white and the 1 white from the light were connected, the 3 black 1 from power source and 2 from wall receptacles were together for constant power they are not controlled by switch only the light itself is. and all grounds 5 total connected together. if i turn the breaker on the wall plugs work but cant get light to come on with switch.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

help

please anyone with any idea what to try?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdodger View Post
this is in a mobile home and in the ceiling box i have 4 wires joining wich means 12 seperate wires in all if i connect them exactly like they were and re install the original light fixture i cant get power to the fixture. im using just a light fixture to try and diagnose the problem before reinstalling the fan its lighter and easier to deal with. ive got 1 wire for power 2 that go to wall receptacles and 1 that goes to a standard 2 wire control switch(only has connection for 1 black and 1 white wire no ground or anything) ive tried installing the way it was and with the fan as you stated but i cannot get power to the fixture no matter if i use the light or the fan. all the wires in the ceiling were connected to their corresponding color wire except for the black coming from the switch it was connected to the lights black wire. all all 4 white and the 1 white from the light were connected, the 3 black 1 from power source and 2 from wall receptacles were together for constant power they are not controlled by switch only the light itself is. and all grounds 5 total connected together. if i turn the breaker on the wall plugs work but cant get light to come on with switch.

You need to connect the white wire from the wall switch to the group of 3 black wires in the ceiling box. Also, be sure to tape both the ends of this white wire with tape to indicate it is a hot wire. This sends power down to the switch, so that it can come back to the light box on the black wire and provide power to the light.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

help

Well, the black and white going to the switch are a different story. One of them is gonna be a constant hot and the other is a switchleg. Don't put the white from the switch to the whites in the light. I'm a little unfamilair with the color coding in romex since I'm in Chicago where we pipe everything and use different colors for different things. But as long as you put one of those wires from the switch to the hots (probably black) in the ceiling box and the other wire from the switch (probably white) to the wire for the light in the fan and leave all the other wires like they were you should be fine.
Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

help

there is a mark on 1 of the white wires coming from the switch so that should prolly be in with the group of 3 hot then right
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #8

help

there is a black mark on both ends of 1 of the white wires coming from the switch so that should prolly be in with the group of 3 hot then right
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #9

help

thank you theatreach85 you hit the nail on the head couldnt figure out what was breaking the loop made since as soon as you said it! thanks again
Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

help

dirtdodger: Glad to hear everything is working for you.

To Super33 and everyone else, if you are using xx/2 romex for a switch leg the generally accepted procedure is to always supply the switch with power via the white wire re-marked/identified as a hot wire, and return power to the fixture on the black wire. This is partly done so that you don't end up with 2 white wires attached to your light fixture.

Advertisement

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote