Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

Help!!!

My wife and I own a house built in 1963, we've been in it for 2 months now. It is a small farm house and it has a mix of many differnt types of wiring, the old black cloth insulated stuff, and what looks to be most of the upgrades of ROMAX(?). My question is, there are two breaker boxes, one in the basement and one on the outside of the house. Some of the inside lights and outlets come from the outside breaker, and some from the inside feed outside stuff. It is quite an ordeal trying to figure this out. The old home owners seemed to do things out of necessity and din't care much about codes and such. Should the inside box handle inside stuff and the outside handle outside? Or does it really matter. On our home inspection, the inspector said something about there is a code that says how many circuits for the outside are within code, so now every time I look at this puzzle I get a little confused. I also want to know, how many 110 outlets or single bulb fixtures can one breaker handle.

They had a 220 line run from the outside box feeding a Mobile home that one of the kids lived in while she took care of the ailing mom, I need to remove that, but want to know if I can just move the cable, now that the mobile home is gone, and attached it to a box that we would like to run to the Barn. There is no power run to it but there is remnants of power, because there is old outlets, light fixtures, and an old fuse box as well

willyoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Electrician

Help!!!

Hey there

I don't know the codes dealing with a breaker box outside, but I would try to get the outside one moved in, especially if they contain circuits for inside the house. Its alot easier to torubleshoot problems in the future if all the breakers are in one spot.

Concerning your 220V line to the mobile home, you could easyily move that to your barn and put a subpanel. Just make sure it has a red, black, white, and a ground. If there is no white, it will not work because you get 110V from the white and your lights and plugs run on 110.

How many devices you can have on a breaker depends where you are. In the US you can have as many as you want, but up here in Canada your only allowed 12 per circuit.

Hope this helps

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Eric

Help!!!

as far as i can tell, there's no code prohibiting inside circuits fed from an outside panel. however, there is some applicable code pertaining to outside panels:

National Electrical Code Article 312.2(A):

blah blah blah surface-type enclosures must be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and acculumlating within the cabinet or cut-out box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 1/4" airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations [e.g. outdoors] shall be weatherproof.

so your biggest concern with it is the potential of water entering the enclosure, unless it's listed for use in wet locations. but that notwithstanding, darren is right and you should try to get it moved inside.
eric932 is offline   Reply With Quote