Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help

Last night I spent several hours trying to install track lighting. Now i have now power to the front of my house and every time I turn on the switch the breaker jumps and the house goes dead.

Please help.

Velez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velez View Post
Last night I spent several hours trying to install track lighting. Now i have now power to the front of my house and every time I turn on the switch the breaker jumps and the house goes dead.

Please help.

You wired something wrong, can you take a picture of the wires?

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Help

Yet another post where some one didn't label/mark the wires and disconnected everything in the box. I will never understand why people think they need to disconnect every wire in the box just to change light fixtures or switches.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #4

Help

Wow, You're rude theatretch85. The house is from 1955 and everything fell apart when I opened it.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

Help

rgsgww thanks, that's a good idea. I did get the power back on. The only problem now, is every time I turn on the light switch the breaker jumps and shuts everything down. All the wires are old and most just have black tape on them. I can't really tell what colors they were. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks again for being so helpful.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velez View Post
rgsgww thanks, that's a good idea. I did get the power back on. The only problem now, is every time I turn on the light switch the breaker jumps and shuts everything down. All the wires are old and most just have black tape on them. I can't really tell what colors they were. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks again for being so helpful.

Thats kind of dangerous...I know how that fabric can be. You might just want to be safe and run new wire for that junction...

You must have a hot attached to your switch with a neutral...
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Help

Velez, Sorry I assumed this was like every other person coming here with this problem; they go to change a light fixture and rip apart all the wire connections in the box (instead of just the two that connect to the old fixture) and then wonder why it doesn't work when they put the new fixture in.

You probably have a switch loop that is shorting the incoming hot to the neutral, you'll have to open the switch up and figure out how its wired then find the switch wires in the light box.

The Hot power coming in should go through the switch, if its a switch loop one wire to the switch gets the Hot wire incoming, and the other goes directly to the light's black or hot conductor. Tie the neutral wires together in the fixture and that should take care of it.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #8

Help

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot. It looks like I have two clusters of wires (Black and White) coming into the box, with a third set coming in from another part of the house. I am told this would be the "Circuit" that everything in the front of the house is wired on.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Yet another post where some one didn't label/mark the wires and disconnected everything in the box. I will never understand why people think they need to disconnect every wire in the box just to change light fixtures or switches.
I would have come to the same conclusion.
In any case, from the condition of the wires it sounds like Mr. Velez needs an electrician. Otherwise, the OP could try heat shrink tubing to get some more life out of the wire insulation.
They are probably also brittle.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote