Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help

I am remodeling my bathroom and installed a new ceilling fan.The new fan,light and plug in are all connected to one switch.The fan and plug in were working fine(light was not installed yet as i still needed to drywall and paint first)then i lost power to the fan but not the plug in.Light was installed and it to is not working.

So to summorize,i now have a single switch in my bathroom with a fan and light that do not work but a plug in that does.As i am not much of an electrician i am lost as to where evrything went wrong,any info or thoughts would greatly be appreciated

I am a DIY chatroom virgin so if i have missed anything important that will help you help me please ask

puroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,410

Help

You may not be aware that in the US you cannot install a hanging fixture like a ceiling fan within the area of a tub or shower and also the area 3' outside the same. The zone extends up to 8' above the maximum water level also.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Help

Thank you Jim,
I guess i should explain myself a bit better,again i am a newbie to this so let me fix my errors.
I live in Canada,yes the great white north.My ceiling fan is an in ceiling fan for a bathroom installed to all recommendations in the instructions.Everything was working and then just suddenly the fan and light gave out on me,i have checked and re-checked all connections and fuses in the house and cannot find the issue.
I guess i may just have to break down and have an electrician come in and find the issue as i am losing patience with it now.
Thanks again
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 558

Help

Have you checked to see if there's a GFCI breaker or receptacle that has tripped? These are the outlets that have a test and reset button.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Help

I have tried the test and reset buttons on more than one occasion and in both bathrooms with no luckThank you