Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help!!!

I built a shop 20 yards from my house.... i ran direct buried wire 10-2... theres 4 8fr fluorescent lights with 4 receptacles... Coming from a 200 amp service, i put another breaker box in the shop, all worked great for 6 months now, if i turn on a fan its real low powered but when i flip lights on it speeds up?????? What's up with this?? I have a separate ground rod at the shop as well, and i can see it sparking against the metal shop...so i re- routed it very very low power, unless i put it up against the building itself....is my ground not good enough and im using the barn for ground or?....

jd huntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,048

Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd huntn View Post
I built a shop 20 yards from my house.... i ran direct buried wire 10-2... theres 4 8fr fluorescent lights with 4 receptacles... Coming from a 200 amp service, i put another breaker box in the shop, all worked great for 6 months now, if i turn on a fan its real low powered but when i flip lights on it speeds up?????? What's up with this?? I have a separate ground rod at the shop as well, and i can see it sparking against the metal shop...so i re- routed it very very low power, unless i put it up against the building itself....is my ground not good enough and im using the barn for ground or?....
Whats the voltage at the barn, how exactly did you terminate the 10-2 at the barn? IMO, you have a neutral issue.

Hopefully you didnt try to get a 120/240v setup out of a 10-2 cable....

Last edited by stickboy1375; 10-21-2012 at 07:30 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Help!!!

That is how it was done...excuse my ignorance ( really).. Its a lighter grey wire and now that i think of it, its not 10-2.. but 12*2 or 14*2... whatever it is my dads barns this same way..i just dont no where my problem lays..thanks for yoyr replys
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Help!!!

Quote:
That is how it was done...excuse my ignorance ( really).. Its a lighter grey wire and now that i think of it, its not 10-2.. but 12*2 or 14*2... whatever it is my dads barns this same way..i just dont no where my problem lays..thanks for yoyr replys
I cant help without a picture or some more info... pictures of the barn sub panel would be best.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Help!!!

Ill try to explain... white wire on left side black wire on right coming into box.... w copper wire going to ground block...each wire 110v..from there its breakered 2 x...1 for 4 receptacles 30 amp...1 for 2 receptacles for lights...only one leg is being used...thats the white wire on the left...if i switch it all to the otherside no diffrence.... and a fround from block to ground rod.... i dont no if this helps... hophully... no pc here in the hills just fat fingers n a phone
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Help!!!

Quote:
Ill try to explain... white wire on left side black wire on right coming into box.... w copper wire going to ground block...each wire 110v..from there its breakered 2 x...1 for 4 receptacles 30 amp...1 for 2 receptacles for lights...only one leg is being used...thats the white wire on the left...if i switch it all to the otherside no diffrence.... and a fround from block to ground rod.... i dont no if this helps... hophully... no pc here in the hills just fat fingers n a phone
You didn't run a grounded conductor... (neutral) this is why you have issues... you need to change your current setup... what you have is very dangerous.

Most likely best to hire an electrician.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Help!!!

Ok help an idiot out. Lol. For what im running is my wire sufficient if its just 110v instead if trying for tge 220. Which is what has happened...it was fine like it was for 6 months now its an issue..... if you can tell me your best how it shiuld be... diagram or words i can follow.. im in the boonies and an electricians far and few between these hills ( i no not an excuse)..but with what you said i think i would be fine hooked up normally... am i on tge right track
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

Help!!!

Im running 4 8ft overhead lights flourecent and some wall receptacles down one side.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

Help!!!

Ok 10-2 uf wire... obe black one white one copper...currently wired as 240v ...will change it to 110 v my problem is tgeres no neutral? Correct.....will the 110v wired to sub panel be sufficient for my 4 lights and 5 outlets in which there on 2 diffrent breakers
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help!!!

I will keep it simple here you did have wrong cable for this purpose so you will need 10-3 UF cable otherwise you will have no choice but reconferated to 120 volt circuit.

The bare ground conductor is not used for current carry conductor that is only used for fault condtions so what you did used that as netural that is very dangerous due once you loose the ground ( it will be the same thing with netural on MWBC ) anything is on 120 volts will go up close to 240 volts or lower than 120 volts depending on what ya got on that circuit.

I know you may not like to hear this but as I posted above you will have only two choice is .,,

A ) New 10-3 UF cable with ground ( this option you can keep the 240 volts if you have any items that requried 240 volts )

B) Reconfreaged the subpanel to 120 volt connection ( you will have to make a jumper lead for subpanel and move the netural ( white conductor ) to proper location which it will be netural bussbar ditto in the main panel in your house.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

Help!!!

Thanks im going with (b).... i just flip on lights grab a tool or tractor or atv and im gone... its a barn/ shop graveled floor... but i want it safe... its protecting alot of $$$$$ from the weather... ill never need 240v i have a service truck with welder/ compressor etc..I did not wire this by the way a farm hand did ( hes long gone by now of course). But I've always thought it wasnt correct. But never sure till my research as if tonight... ive killed power to it a few months back, but with it starting to get dark on me..im gonna need the lighting..thanx again... and 120v should run my lights n plugs correct
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help!!!

The other thing it did bring to my attetion is that you may have damaged UF cable as well.

Do you know how deep that cable was buried ? if not very deep then you will have to use the GFCI breaker at the main panel.

Per NEC code it have to be 12 inch deep if only 20 amp circuit with GFCI but due your situation you have 120 volt 30 amp circuit then it will have to be at 24 inch otherwise if in conduit it can be 18 inches unless it cross the traffic area it should stay at 24 inches.

So you will have to take a carefull look at the cable and test it out otherwise the electrician can assit you on this one I am thinking you may have a break in the UF cable.

If you install the GFCI breaker and if that trip out rightaway then you have a break in the UF cable then you will have no choice but resplice if you can find the break or replace the whole thing.

Merci,
Marc