Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Share |

Hello, new member. New house, wiring mess!

Hello, my wife and I bought our first home. We are finding that there are some things needing to be upgraded. I was crawling through our attic inspecting a spot where I'd like to install a recessed light. Our house is wired with the older cloth covered romex and about half is wired with the newer romex. While in the attic, I found some interesting things. A few splices and a stray hot piece of romex. I will post pics of what I found. One splice in particular seemed very bad.

Attachment 58746

These wires run down to a switch, out trough the soffit to an outside ceiling fan, and then power out to the rest of the circuit. Trouble is, there is no slack on any of it. Also, it is in the narrowest part of the attic where the roof ends. I know splices need to be in a box and accessible.

Attachment 58747

Different view.

I found this, hot, so I terminated into a handy box and attached to a roof truss

Attachment 58748

Attachment 58749

Any advice on fixing that terrible hack splice job would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford an electrician right now but am very handy.
kvantassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Didn't mean to post twice
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvantassel View Post
Hello, my wife and I bought our first home. We are finding that there are some things needing to be upgraded. I was crawling through our attic inspecting a spot where I'd like to install a recessed light. Our house is wired with the older cloth covered romex and about half is wired with the newer romex. While in the attic, I found some interesting things. A few splices and a stray hot piece of romex. I will post pics of what I found. One splice in particular seemed very bad.

Attachment 58746

These wires run down to a switch, out trough the soffit to an outside ceiling fan, and then power out to the rest of the circuit. Trouble is, there is no slack on any of it. Also, it is in the narrowest part of the attic where the roof ends. I know splices need to be in a box and accessible.

Attachment 58747

Different view.

I found this, hot, so I terminated into a handy box and attached to a roof truss

Attachment 58748

Attachment 58749

Any advice on fixing that terrible hack splice job would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford an electrician right now but am very handy.
You're on the right track. J-Boxes. Just make sure you size them properly and don't over fill them. Also, if you use metal boxes, ground the boxes when possible.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Thanks! By ground the box do you mean to pig tail a ground wire from the connections to the box?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

You say you can not afford an electrician.
Ask yourself if you can afford not having one.

You did a good job on spotting and recognizing 2 examples of hack work.
How many have you either not spotted or recognized ???

It's not what you have found that should make you worry. It is the ones that you have not found.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvantassel View Post
Thanks! By ground the box do you mean to pig tail a ground wire from the connections to the box?
Yes, a ground screw in the box to all the other ground wires.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote