Height Of A Ceiling Fan With A Trey Ceiling? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Height of a ceiling fan with a trey ceiling?

I've decided to get a LCD projector for my living room. Due to a chair rail/wainscoating, I forced to put the 60" tall screen an inch from the top of the 8' wall. There is a trey ceiling in the room and the ceiling fan hung on a 24" rod of the trey ceiling. The too low fan will interfere with the projectors image. I was thinking of just removing the rod of the ceiling fan and mounting it directly to the trey ceiling so it's out of the way from the projector. Then get some excessively long 24" pull handles to maintain easy access to the lights and fan speeds.

Would that greatly hinder performance of a ceiling fan?

Advertisement

Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

If the fan was designed so it can be mounted directly on the ceiling, there should be no issues mounting it that way, as long as the blades clear the edges of the tray, and the ceiling is flat (not angled). If the ceiling is angled, or the fan wasn't designed for direct mounting, you can buy a shorter rod at pretty much any home center, or you can shorten the existing rod yourself. As for the controls, I'd recommend buying a remote rather than dangling cords down.

Advertisement

Mthrboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrboard View Post
If the fan was designed so it can be mounted directly on the ceiling, there should be no issues mounting it that way, as long as the blades clear the edges of the tray, and the ceiling is flat (not angled). If the ceiling is angled, or the fan wasn't designed for direct mounting, you can buy a shorter rod at pretty much any home center, or you can shorten the existing rod yourself. As for the controls, I'd recommend buying a remote rather than dangling cords down.
It's flat ceiling, should be ok.

With the remote, I just assume it was part of the fan itself, which mine didn't come with. Can you add in a remote control circuit to it? Eh, maybe I'll just buy a cheapo wally world fan w/remote...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
It's flat ceiling, should be ok.

With the remote, I just assume it was part of the fan itself, which mine didn't come with. Can you add in a remote control circuit to it? Eh, maybe I'll just buy a cheapo wally world fan w/remote...
You can buy add-on remotes that will work with some fans. I have three different Hunter remotes for the fans in my house. One is a dedicated fan remote for the bedroom. In the living room I have a universal remote that controls my TV, satellite, DVD and the fan. In the family room downstairs, I have a wall control that replaced the normal switch. Otherwise, if you have a switch that turns the fan on and off, and you just use the cord to control the speed, there are fan control switches that you can install. I have one of those on another fan in my office that was too small for the remote receiver. Depending on the style you go for, you can get remotes anywhere from $25-50, or the wall switch for $15. As a last resort, you can always replace the fan with one that comes with a remote and a short downrod.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

Would that greatly hinder performance of a ceiling fan?
You are fine.

Also, you can install a fanspeed control on the wall to avoid the hanging pull chains.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
You are fine.

Also, you can install a fanspeed control on the wall to avoid the hanging pull chains.
Actually I light that idea a lot...Although do they have a model what controls the rotation for to "suck" or "blow"? Now that I think about it, bringing out a ladder every 6 months won't kill me.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually I light that idea a lot...Although do they have a model what controls the rotation for to "suck" or "blow"? Now that I think about it, bringing out a ladder every 6 months won't kill me.
I've never seen one that controls the rotation. Even the remotes I have don't do that. But you're right, using a ladder every 6 months shouldn't kill you. And it'll give you an excuse to dust the blades and remove the accumulated dead bugs in the light diffuser if you have that style of light.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

Just a note. The farther the ceiling fan is from the ceiling, the better circulation and air flow you will get. If this is in a bedroom, I would think that would be important.

Thanks Bye

Advertisement

blahnik is offline   Reply With Quote