Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?

Hello All,

I am planning on replacing a approx. 50lb chandelier in a two story foyer with a
130 lb chandelier.The home is newer construction 2x4 "truss" system in attic space. I have purchased the Westinghouse Hercules j-box system rated to handle up to 800lbs. Fixtures to replace the existing one since it is not strong enough.I have also purchased a worm gear manual winch 2000lb rating which I plan to use to lower the existing fixture and "raise" the replacement. I have attic access from above which is where I plan to mount the winch temporarily to get the job done , a 14' step ladder (ceiling height is 17'6")will give me access to the ceiling for the wiring/j-box connections...I plan to cut a small access hole alongside the existing j-box hole in the drywall to allow the hook /cable to drop down to first floor. Anyone here have any advice from experiences doing this?

ArcsX9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Ok you seem to have it all figured out but here are a few pointers .....don't do it alone.....do you know if your circuit can handle the new power demand of the fixture without overheating .........I did something similar before it took 4 guys and 1/2 day to set it up plus anextra circuit for the fixture

RAUL HIDALGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Thanks for pointing that out Raul...I will have to check the circuit and see what else is on it(if anything)...I would imagine that it's on a 15amp breaker..max wattage recommended per bulb is 25 watts...there are 25 sockets on this fixture...I'll probably use 15w or 20w max...as far as help I will get some heads over to assist in the attic and on the ground.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

Maybe rent some scaffolding for the day. Its probably an expensive fixture so you don't want a mishap. I just feel safer on scaffolding than a ladder. So much so I bought three stages a few years ago. I don't use it often but when I do I am glad I have it.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

25 x 25w = 625w / 120 = 5.21amp draw for the chandelier.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 252

Don't forget that a 14 foot step is not 14 feet tall when erected. I recently did a much lighter fixture on the same height ceiling from my 16 foot stepladder and I'm not sure I would have been happy doing it on a fourteen.

Mark
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Nest Home Improvement

I would have few sets of hands to help you out. I do like the scaffold suggestion...much more stable than ladders!
NestHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Talking

Hi All,

Just an update...two days of sweat, lifting, creative engineering to rig up the winch about 20 trips to and from the attic and the job's done....used everything listed in the original post..VERY happy with the results, but def a job I will NEVER want to do again...thanks for all the advice on this project....I will post some pics shortly for reference for anyone looking to tackle a job like this...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcsX9976 View Post
Hi All,

Just an update...two days of sweat, lifting, creative engineering to rig up the winch about 20 trips to and from the attic and the job's done....used everything listed in the original post..VERY happy with the results, but def a job I will NEVER want to do again...thanks for all the advice on this project....I will post some pics shortly for reference for anyone looking to tackle a job like this...
Great....will be waiting on the pics
RAUL HIDALGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

photos of the various stages of the project.....mounted winch to sistered up 4x4x8 and 2x4 mounted in attic across 4 joists, access hole next to junction box, cable/hook lowered and raised through there....
Attached Thumbnails
Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-chan3.jpg   Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-winch.jpg   Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-dsc08791.jpg   Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-chan_2.jpg   Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-ladder.jpg  

Heavy Chandelier Foyer Install?-dsc08787.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

I like the new fixture.

Good job on the install!

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote