Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heater Wiring

Hello,
I am new to this site and find there is a lot of good information and resources here.
I have a electric car that I drive to work and am looking into putting a heater in it. Since the car runs on 48 volts, I am wondering if/how I can "rewire" a 110 volt AC heater to 48 volt DC. Is this possible? With the little bit of electrical experience I have, I am thinking that the problem would be witht the switches on the heater.
Anyone have any ideas?

4yoursafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Heater Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yoursafety
Hello,
I am new to this site and find there is a lot of good information and resources here.
I have a electric car that I drive to work and am looking into putting a heater in it. Since the car runs on 48 volts, I am wondering if/how I can "rewire" a 110 volt AC heater to 48 volt DC. Is this possible? With the little bit of electrical experience I have, I am thinking that the problem would be witht the switches on the heater.
Anyone have any ideas?
I'd be careful talk to the manufacturer first

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,012

Heater Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
I'd be careful talk to the manufacturer first
What he said^^.

If your new electric car doesn't have heat...
I'm sure they have investigated how to deal with it.

The solution will likely involve a higher output alternator...
(and some relays and fuses and controls ... oh my!)
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,002

Heater Wiring

Electric cars lack heat because heating things with electricity uses a LOT of power - close to as much power as the car uses to drive. In a gas vehicle, there's plenty of spare heat available that is wasted if it's not used to heat the car. In an electric vehicle, there is no spare energy to tap for that purpose. Any heating will decrease your range substantially.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Heater Wiring

This ia a "electric" vehicle. No alternator, one seater. I realize that installing a heater will reduce the range on my battery pack and can deal with it. I am looking for ways "if posible" to run a 110 volt Ac heater on 48 volt DC.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Heater Wiring

What the electric car manufacter it is ? or a homemade one ?

Merci.
Marc
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 506

Heater Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yoursafety View Post
This ia a "electric" vehicle. No alternator, one seater. I realize that installing a heater will reduce the range on my battery pack and can deal with it. I am looking for ways "if posible" to run a 110 volt Ac heater on 48 volt DC.
This seems like a lot of work.....but:

Being that it's pure resistance the heater itself could run off of 48 volts with no modifications, it just wouldn't produce as much heat. If you are lucky you may be able to find a heater that you could rewire into a parallel arrangement for close to full output. Also, Nichrome wire is not too hard to find and you could "roll your own" so to speak. You could swap out the AC fan motor with two 24 volt DC muffin fans wired in series.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,002

Heater Wiring

Quote:
I realize that installing a heater will reduce the range on my battery pack and can deal with it. I am looking for ways "if posible" to run a 110 volt Ac heater on 48 volt DC.
A big inverter is about the only good way to run a 120V heater from a 48V source. Rewiring the heater would likely be more difficult than starting from scratch. However, you could look for surplus electric heating devices intended for use in aircraft. Most aircraft use 24V systems, and some military aircraft use quite a bit of 48V equipment as well. Two identical 24V heaters could be used in series on a 48V supply.

With that said, I think it bears repeating that this will totally kill your vehicle's range. What is the total capacity of the vehicle's batteries, in watt-hours or amp-hours?
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #9

Heater Wiring

This little rig is called a Gizmo. Factory made in Eugene Oregon. They were made from the late 1990s to the mid 2000s. You can read more on them at www.nevco-ev.com or my blog at www.bubsstuff.blogspot.com .
I do not think the drain on the battery pack will be that much of a issue since my range is roughly 20+/- miles and my trip to work is only 5 miles. I have plenty of capacity for what I am using it for and it is so small inside I will not have to run the heater very much to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Zappa,
You said "it's pure resistance the heater itself could run off of 48 volts with no modifications, it just wouldn't produce as much heat"
I agree with the lack of heat running it on 48 volts but thought there might be a problem putting DC through AC switches.
They do make and have found 48 volt heaters but they run $200.00 or more. I am trying to save some money and also get some satifaction on making something work in a manner that it was not designed to.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #10

Heater Wiring

I would really hate to get t-boned at an intersection in that thing.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Heater Wiring

If anything hits me or if I hit anything, I am sure it is going to hurt
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 506

Heater Wiring

Quote:
I agree with the lack of heat running it on 48 volts but thought there might be a problem putting DC through AC switches.
There would be no problems with the switches. The AC fan would be the only issue. You could disconnect the fan and hook up a standard heater just to see how much heat it puts out.

I was just at a truck stop and saw inexpensive 12 volt heaters on the shelf. Four of those in series could be another idea. Get on e-bay and search around. I find that e-bay will give you a good cross section of what is out there for sale and you can pick up some great ideas.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #13

Heater Wiring

no offense intended,but,from looking at the website,it appears that you'd be safer driving to work in a "golf cart" AND you've got room for a passenger.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Heater Wiring

Three questions.......
1. is that street legal?
2. Do you plug it in every night?
3. Is there an outlet where you work to plug it in?

If 2 and 3 are yes,l could you just take a small electric heater and heat it up when it's parked? (overheat it actually) I'm sure that in 5 miles it could stay warm enough for you....since you only seem to use it for a single purpose.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #15

Heater Wiring

analogmusicman,
No offence taken. I am not sure if a golf cart would be safer and I would probably look just as goofy driving a golf cart through town as I do the Gizmo. I still enjoy driving my truck but it hurts a little when I have to pump $90.00+ of fuel into it compared to the 1.5 cents per mile (computes to about 240 mpg) the Gizmo gets.
Missouri Bound,
Yes it is street legal and registers as a motocycle.
I plug it in every night or any chance I have to plug it in. It is always better to keep the pack topped off.
I do at times plug it in at work but normaly would only do that if I had other things to do around town before I got home.
I park in the garage at home and so it is actually fairly warm when I get in it in the morning. This morning it was 23 degree's when I left and it was actually not that bad.

Tags
110 volt, 48 volt, electric car, heaters, nev