Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |

heated floor

does anyone know anything about wiring in heated floors
pjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #2

heated floor

the floor is 240 volt that draws around 13 amps or so I believe. needs wired in parallel. I have two 120 volts lines running to two outlets in the garage that we dont use. can I use both the hots from them. I am trying to do this without running the wire from the box all the way to the other end of the house.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #3

heated floor

You are going to need a dedicated circuit for this. The 2 outlets in the garage won't work (most likely) because they are on the same phase so u only have 120v between them. Run a circuit from ur panel to the tstat box. Then u have to run the floor mat wire up to the tstat box and also the temp floor sensor wire up to the tstat box
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

heated floor

You can probably get more info on what is involved from the Suntouch or Wamly Yours website.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

heated floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrichar View Post
the floor is 240 volt that draws around 13 amps or so I believe. needs wired in parallel. I have two 120 volts lines running to two outlets in the garage that we dont use. can I use both the hots from them. I am trying to do this without running the wire from the box all the way to the other end of the house.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Run a new 240v line from the panel. This is your only choice.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #6

heated floor

the two lines running two the garage are seperate. one was for an rv hookup and the other is a regular 120 double plug outlet. Ive checked the wires that were ran from the panel to them... im pretty hand with stuff do you think I could do all the things to run a new 240 from the box... any info appreciated... just hate paying someone a crazy amount of money for something I could have done......
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

heated floor

Based on your post, it is impossible to evaluate if you have the knowledge and skills to safely wire a new 240 volt circuit. It certainly is a doable DIY project if you know what you are doing, there are probably 50 people on this forum who regularly post who have done it, but to ask someone to walk you through it over the internet is a bit of a stretch. I suggest you either hire an electrician, or at least get some hands on help from a friend who has actually wired a 240 volt circuit before.

It is not that difficult, but if done wrong it can be fatal.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #8

heated floor

since the wire is already ran for the 125 volt 30 amp rv plug in the garage can I go ahead and use that wire for the new double breaker 240 volt that i will put in. the electrical draw on the floor is pretty low.. the only reason my wife bought it is because its a little cheaper to run a 240 volt heated floor.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

heated floor

Quote:
since the wire is already ran for the 125 volt 30 amp rv plug in the garage can I go ahead and use that wire for the new double breaker 240 volt that i will put in. the electrical draw on the floor is pretty low.. the only reason my wife bought it is because its a little cheaper to run a 240 volt heated floor.
If you are going to get rid of the rv receptacle, then you can use the wire.
The wire is oversized for what you are working on, and may cause box fill problems.
Make sure you use a 2 pole breaker.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

heated floor

Quote:
since the wire is already ran for the 125 volt 30 amp rv plug in the garage can I go ahead and use that wire for the new double breaker 240 volt that i will put in.
This should be no problem. Heed jbfan's warning though. Also, make sure you replace the breaker with the correct size as well.

Quote:
.. the only reason my wife bought it is because its a little cheaper to run a 240 volt heated floor.
Kind of trivial, but this is completely untrue.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote