Heat Press At 14.5 Amps , Needs 20 Amp Plug? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat Press at 14.5 amps , needs 20 amp plug?

I have a heat press that may not be getting enough power.
Its rating is 1750 Watts, 14.5 Amps
It works on my 15 amp circuit in my house, but the light flickers when it is on and it does not get to the right temperature.

I checked my breaker box and saw that I have several breakers labeled with a "20" so I moved the press to one of those plugs and it seems to be doing better but the temperature on the press is still 50 degrees off.

This plug that has the label "20" on the breaker box, is it not a true 20 amp circuit?

Does such a device need a dedicated 20 amp circuit, and if so, what am I looking at to have a plug in my house converted to a true 20 amp circuit.
Thanks.

Advertisement

kage65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

the receptacle itself is not going to change things. If you want, you can install a 20 amp 120 volt (presumably) receptacle on a circuit that is fed with a 20 amp breaker (and presuming the proper size wire)

this is a combination 15/20 amp recep. Note the horizontal slot on the left side. That is the noticeable difference between a 15 and 20 amp recep style.

If you are not tripping a breaker and you machine is not getting to proper temp, it is most likely it is the machine and not the power source. If not tripping a breaker, the circuit does have more power to give.

How are you checking temp?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,044

The wire that feeds the press better be 12ga because of the change from 15 amp to 20 amp breaker.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
the receptacle itself is not going to change things. If you want, you can install a 20 amp 120 volt (presumably) receptacle on a circuit that is fed with a 20 amp breaker (and presuming the proper size wire)

this is a combination 15/20 amp recep. Note the horizontal slot on the left side. That is the noticeable difference between a 15 and 20 amp recep style.

If you are not tripping a breaker and you machine is not getting to proper temp, it is most likely it is the machine and not the power source. If not tripping a breaker, the circuit does have more power to give.

Tks. I used a thermometer with a probe which I tested with boiling water twice to make sure it was reading correctly.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

depending on the type of probe and how it was used, it may or may not have been able to accurately measure the temp. Some probes must me immersed or enclosed to read accurately. Was the probe enclosed within the press?

also, it may be due to a defect in the machine. It the sensor in the machine is inaccurate, your actual temp will be incorrect.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
depending on the type of probe and how it was used, it may or may not have been able to accurately measure the temp. Some probes must me immersed or enclosed to read accurately. Was the probe enclosed within the press?

also, it may be due to a defect in the machine. It the sensor in the machine is inaccurate, your actual temp will be incorrect.
The thermometer and probe is this one
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH11B&nav=
However mine has a different probe. There is a pic of it here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36858763@N00/5551849756

I really don't know if it has to be immersed or enclosed. I was assuming it did not.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,514

The 15 amp would be tripping if it was a problem. When the machine reaches its top temp is the heating element still on? If it has turned off then i suspect the sensor in the unit is defective. If the unit is still on and is not reaching temp then measure the voltage at the receptacle when it is on. Probably won't be in issue there. If there are multiple elements in the heater then possibly one of them is not working. Maybe only two out of three elements are heating.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The 15 amp would be tripping if it was a problem. When the machine reaches its top temp is the heating element still on? If it has turned off then i suspect the sensor in the unit is defective. If the unit is still on and is not reaching temp then measure the voltage at the receptacle when it is on. Probably won't be in issue there. If there are multiple elements in the heater then possibly one of them is not working. Maybe only two out of three elements are heating.
When the press reaches the assigned temp (as measured by its own sensor) , the heating element is still on. I'm not sure how to measure the voltage. I'll have to look into that.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

I can't see your sensor very well but it from what I can see it would be difficult to hold it in good contact with the sensed item.

what kind of machine is this? What I'm after is; can you put the thermocouple inside where whatever gets pressed gets pressed and close the machine on the thermocouple? just trying to remove sensor error due to something like ambient air effecting the temp the thermocouple "sees".

is there any adjustment possible for this machine (temp setting) If so, is it dialed up all the way?

do you have any literature on the machine or someplace maybe one of us could see literature on the net?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

I would say if the heating element is still on then it hasn't reached the assigned temperature. How are you determining it has reached the assigned temp? If the unit has a temp gauge then perhaps the gauge is not correct.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I would say if the heating element is still on then it hasn't reached the assigned temperature. How are you determining it has reached the assigned temp? If the unit has a temp gauge then perhaps the gauge is not correct.
he's using a handheld thermometer. Check his post to me a couple back. He has a link to what he is using.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
he's using a handheld thermometer. Check his post to me a couple back. He has a link to what he is using.
No he isn't. Not for this part of the test.
Quote:
When the press reaches the assigned temp (as measured by its own sensor)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
No he isn't. Not for this part of the test.
I see that but when I asked previously:
Quote:
he said this:

Quote:
I used a thermometer with a probe which I tested with boiling water twice to make sure it was reading correctly.
which he linked here:

Quote:
The thermometer and probe is this one
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH11B&nav=
However mine has a different probe. There is a pic of it here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36858763@N00/5551849756
Now I'm a bit confused. Nothing out of the norm but none the less, confused.

I think it would help if we knew what manuf and mod this machine was. Maybe there are adjustments. I think it would be easier to give suggestions if we knew more of what was being dealt with.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

What temperature are you expecting to read - operating temperature - and what temperature are you actually reading with the probe?
If this is some type of heat press are you placing the thermocouple in the press and heating it until the temperature stabilizes?

Quote:
When the press reaches the assigned temp (as measured by its own sensor) , the heating element is still on.
How do you know this?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Seasoned DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

What is the voltage at the outlet with the press turned on and off?

Advertisement

HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote