Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

Heat lamps

I'm in need of some advice.
The master bathroom in a recently acquired house has a somewhat unusual lighting arrangement. A switch immediately outside the entry door controls 2 high hats in a 10 foot ceiling. Another switch inside the room controls the vanity lights. They are on separate circuits and each has a separate dimmer control.
This arrangement reminds me of what you frequently encounter in hotel rooms where an external switch operates overhead heat lamps. I could certainly use the additional heat.
With one or two heat lamps calling for 250w each, the rheostat has to go, and would be replaced by a timer
The question is: Can I simply replace the switch with a timer and use a heat bulb, or bulbs without creating a fire hazard? Or, must I also replace the high hat itself?
I am located in rural Vermont. Thanks.

Bob
Bob Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Heat lamps

By high hats I assume that you mean recessed cans? If that is the case then you will have to replace the highhats.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #3

Heat lamps

Thanks for the reply. Okay "recessed cans" works for me!
I understand what you say but I am still a bit puzzled.
As an installing electrician, why go through all the trouble of separate circuits merely to install conventional lighting?
It would seem to me that I would use the heat "insulated" cans. (Is there such an animal?) The correct cans may already be in place. I do not know!
Can the two units be distinguished without disassembly? My existing cans do appear to be somewhat different. Their interior is black and the surface is corrugated.
As I write, I am also some 250 miles away, so any closer inspection will have to wait a week or two.
Thanks again,
Bob
Bob Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Electrician philosopher

Heat lamps

[quote=Bob Bala;64950]Thanks for the reply. Okay "recessed cans" works for me!
I understand what you say but I am still a bit puzzled.
As an installing electrician, why go through all the trouble of separate circuits merely to install conventional lighting?
It would seem to me that I would use the heat "insulated" cans. (Is there such an animal?)

IC rated cans mean that insulation can be placed on and around the can. They usually have a thermocoupler that will turn the light off if the can gets to hot. Most cans have a sticker inside listing the lamps(light bulbs) that can be used with the particular trim. I'm kinda doubting your going to find "250W heat lamps" on that list. If there is no sticker that doesn't give you permission by omission to slap them suckers in! I know it will be a PIA to replace those cans with a whole new heat lamp assembly, but thats really the right way to do it. I becomes a fire hazard any other way, and I don't throw "fire hazard" around lightly. As far as how the switches were wired, its anyones guess. I've done them like that just because of framing issues during rough-in.

Edit to add: In Atlanta I don't wire a ton of these-----But in rural Vermont its possible it is a seperate circuit just for heat lamps...But you got to check it out. Keep us informed---Even if its two weeks from now.

Last edited by Andy in ATL; 09-26-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: rural vermont
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote