Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

having trouble with a wall timer that will not switch

i have brinks wall timer that will not switch on my porch light. i thought that the first one i bought defective and returned it, but no luck. the hook up is pretty straight forward black to hot, blue to load(light) red for 3 way switch no luck can someone please help

kenny357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

An open circuit downstream [burned out bulb, open switch] will probably unpower the timer and then you have to reprogram it.

In operation these switches need current flow through them to give a few volts drop across them, and this voltage drop powers the internal electronics and timer memory.

If it were an old switch on a known good circuit I'd say spray contact cleaner into it.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-05-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Ash

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to Ash

If it is the kind of switch that requires constant load then try to 'load' it with a few uF (less than 4) / 250 V capacitor designed to work on constant AC (can be found in alot of fluorescent fixtures and motors)

If you use a fluorescent fixture with capacitor across the mains input then use this one. This kind of fixture can operate without the capacitor or with it being connected in remote location. move it out and connect it as said

Make sure the timer tolerates capacitive load. Some dont. If it is designed for fluorescent lights then i'd expect it to be ok to do the capacitor hack

Also if you have a switch that bypasses the timer it may shut down the timer as soon as you turn on the switch. Use the control wire of the timer instead

Some timers dont rely on constant load and require they own neutral instead. They are way more reliable. Use one like this if you can
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
If it is the kind of switch that requires constant load then try to 'load' it with a few uF (less than 4) / 250 V capacitor designed to work on constant AC (can be found in alot of fluorescent fixtures and motors)

If you use a fluorescent fixture with capacitor across the mains input then use this one. This kind of fixture can operate without the capacitor or with it being connected in remote location. move it out and connect it as said

Make sure the timer tolerates capacitive load. Some dont. If it is designed for fluorescent lights then i'd expect it to be ok to do the capacitor hack

Also if you have a switch that bypasses the timer it may shut down the timer as soon as you turn on the switch. Use the control wire of the timer instead

Some timers dont rely on constant load and require they own neutral instead. They are way more reliable. Use one like this if you can
You are good!
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,004

[quote=Yoyizit;146230
If it were an old switch on a known good circuit I'd say spray contact cleaner into it.[/quote]

Non flammable of course!
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote