Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Share |

Having electrical trouble with my garbage disposal

Hello all, Just recently I replaced my garbage disposal because the old one stunk and had something stuck in it. The new one hooked up exactly like the old one came off so it seemed very easy (white wire to white, black to black, bare copper to ground screw). After I was done I checked to make sure it was working and it was. Later that night I tried to use it while doing dishes and got nothing not even a humming sound. The reset button was not triggered on the disposal and my dishwasher worked so i knew the breaker wasn't tripped (dishwasher and disposal seem to be on the same breaker, disposal uses a switch for on/off). I checked the breaker anyway and it was still on. I took the garbage disposal back thinking i messed it up but the new one didn't work either. I'm totally lost and really don't want to have to call a electrician over something that seemed so simple. The dishwasher works but the disposal dont. I didn't change anything in the switch box under my sink. Any ideas before i have to call someone in?

Thanks in advance.

Bonavita513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

Look for a tripped GFCI.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

If what you mean by GFCI is those outlets with the reset button on the outside I dont have any of those in my house. Its quite an old house. Is it possible that the switch has a fuse or reset button on it somewhere maybe even inside the box its in? Or maybe its possible that the switch is bad? Sorry i'm a noob when it comes to electrical stuff.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

It is possible the switch went bad. Take the two wires off the switch and connect them together with a wire nut. Turn on the breaker and see if the GD runs. If it does then put in a new switch. Or just put in a new switch and try it.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

you may have caused a wire separation in the switch when you rewired the GD..check to make sure all wires in switch box are connected and tight. Turn Off breaker first...of course.....
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

Thanks guys i'm going to try both of those suggestions. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

I dont know witch thing I did that fixed it but its working now that I put the 2 switch wires together and made sure all the wires in the box were together snug. Do I need a certain switch for a GD or can I use one of the random ones I have lying around in the shed? Since I have it off I might as well replace it.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavita513
I dont know witch thing I did that fixed it but its working now that I put the 2 switch wires together and made sure all the wires in the box were together snug. Do I need a certain switch for a GD or can I use one of the random ones I have lying around in the shed? Since I have it off I might as well replace it.
Standard single pole switch will do.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #9

WHAT!! you are not going to put the switch wiring back in place just so you actually know the cause!. Not knowing, would bug me no end but, I guess that's why I was never a replace parts until it works type of boiler service tech and why all my customers loved my work. When I walked away there was never a call back..well almost never..sometimes there are intermittent failures that required a return call or two. Usually electronic. Anyway..you could wire the switch back up and it may be OK or not. Then we would all know for sure! PLEEEESE! you don't have to if you don't want to. I still think it was just a loose wire...just sayin'...
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #10

Like others have said but I would do it in this order.

Check all the connections you made and make sure they are making good contact. (with power off obviously). Make sure you have power from the breaker/fuse. Tripped GFI that is protecting the garb. It is likely one of those 3. Your switch could be bad, but you could connect the two black wires on your switch together temporarily and see if that fixes the problem.
AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

Alta Sparky..The OP already has jumped the switch and tightened all connections AND it works Except he doesn't know if it was just a loose connection OR the switch because the switch is still by passed so, I was asking the OP to reconnect the switch to see if it is actually the switch or he had success just by tightening the connection in the JB. However he said he will be replacing the switch in any case. Still wondering.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
custom user

I recently fixed one by finding a bad back stab connection on the switch. I replaced the switch with a side screw type.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote