Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

Have some work I need to do, can I DIY legally?

I've got some electrical work around the house I need to do.

Add a generator interlock
Add an outdoor convenience plug and extra "backfeed' breaker to work in conjunction with the interlock
Add an attic fan
Possibly add an outdoor motion light in conjunction with the fan

I'm in VA, have dominion power and would like to do all myself including obtaining the permit.

I have read that there are certain things that only licensed electricians can do but for the life of me I am unable to find any of these.

While I'm no expert on these matters I have access to friends and family that are far more knowledgeable than I am on these subjects that will assist me in my endeavors.

So basically, I need to make sure the Square D interlock is OK by VA code and Dominion power, and that I can do all of this work myself, legally.

pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Check with your local county building/electrical inspection office to obtain information about homeowner's permits and procedures.

Depends on the county whether they would allow you to do that work on your own, IMO.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
plummen (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Details:

Regarding the convenience plugs installed on the outside wall, there are three setups you need to be aware of.

1. The "plug" that you hitch the generator up to must be a male receptacle aka inlet (has a set of prongs rather than slots). For most generators it will be 120/240 volt with four prongs, hot-hot-neutral-ground.

2. A regular convenience wall plug (female receptacle) on the same line going to the interlocked breaker will be live only when a generator is hooked up and running.

3. A regular convenience wall plug on a different circuit (separate cable to a different panel breaker) can be installed nearby to be live all of the time.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Details:

Regarding the convenience plugs, there are three setups you need to be aware of.

1. The "plug" that you hitch the generator up to must be a male receptacle aka inlet (has a set of prongs rather than slots). For most generators it will be 120/240 volt with four prongs, hot-hot-neutral-ground.

2. A regular convenience plug (female receptacle) on the same line going to the interlocked breaker will be live only when a generator is hooked up and running.

3. A regular convenience plug on a different circuit (separate cable to a different panel breaker) can be installed nearby and will be live all of the time.
#2 is the plan using a purpose built plug run directly to the interlocked breaker.
pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote