Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

hatachi DH84YE demo hammer

A friend of mine has a demo hammer (DH84YE) and I want to get ground rod driver for it. Looking at the hammer it has a spline shaft. In the box are one spline shaft and two other bits with out splines. All three fit nicely into the chuck. I assume the non spline bits are sds or sds max. I have no idea what the difference is. I do not want to use the wrong bits and damage the hammer. This hammer was found on a dirt road many (at least 7) years ago, fell off of a truck we guess. we have never used it, but now have a need for it. Any pros out there have any experience with this tool and have any suggestions as to the interchangeability of the bits.

thanks,

bernie

bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

SDS will not work with spline. I used to use a spline drill and we just put the ground rod in the chuck...no driver bit.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
jbfan (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

thanks, all of the bits we have lock in the chuck. pictures I see on the net some have a spline and others don't. even when they are listed as spline. It may be that some spline bits don't have splines therefore do not rotate with the drill setting, and just insert into the spline chuck. the flats on the shank only lock the tool bit in the chuck. I think I will have to go to a store and see them in person to sort out what a sds bit looks like vs the spline.

as I an typing I am thinking the carbide drill is splined and the chisel and point head bits are not splined. that is why you could drive a ground rod without damaging the spline, which is why I am asking the question.

kbuz again thanks.

bernie
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Spline drive drill bits are splined. Spline drive chisels and other non-rotating bits are hexagonal with a deeper flat spot for bit retention.

SDS Max is completely different.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie963 View Post
thanks, all of the bits we have lock in the chuck. pictures I see on the net some have a spline and others don't. even when they are listed as spline. It may be that some spline bits don't have splines therefore do not rotate with the drill setting, and just insert into the spline chuck. the flats on the shank only lock the tool bit in the chuck. I think I will have to go to a store and see them in person to sort out what a sds bit looks like vs the spline.

as I an typing I am thinking the carbide drill is splined and the chisel and point head bits are not splined. that is why you could drive a ground rod without damaging the spline, which is why I am asking the question.

kbuz again thanks.

bernie
Ayuh,... The splines are only used for drills, needin' rotational forces...

For just the Hammer effect, the splines aren't needed...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #6

thanks for the good info. I was afraid I would damage the hammer splines w the non splined bits. Used one a few years back to brake a sump pump hole in my basement. it sure made short work of the concrete. I couldn't remember what the shaft looked like.

went to lowes today and confirmed the sds bit is entirely different than the "non splined" spline bits.

again thanks, this is a great site which I learn from every day.

bernie