DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Hardwired under cabinet puck lights (

acerunner 03-10-2011 08:01 PM

Hardwired under cabinet puck lights
I am installing under cabinet lights. I like the look of puck lights and I want them hardwired to be controlled but wall switch. Walls are currently opened so I have easy access. I haven't been able to find puck lights designed for this purpose. The ones I've seen at big box stores are designed to pluginto socket and has an attached transformer/ballast. Are there any that are designed to wire into romex and wall switch, it better yet, a dimmer?

Shockme 03-10-2011 08:33 PM

I have seen line voltage(120v) undercab lights in the puck style at the big box stores. Now you still will need to install a box and outlet or cut off the plug and wirenut it. Switch that circuit and you should be good. Now I do remember that they looked the same in the package except for the 120v label. I worked at one before in that department. Hope that helps

LyonsElecSupply 03-11-2011 12:38 AM

To do this right you will need to do one of the following: get 120v pucks that have an integrated junction box OR (suggested:) get low voltage.....

There are many transformers that are hardwired and come with a junction box for the xformer. The xformers are also dimmable.

WAC makes pucks and xformers.

Pucks are the HR-88-(color) EX: HR-88-WH for white
Xformers are EN12(watts)RBAR (includes enclosure) EN12100RBAR for 100 watts

Use a LowVoltage Electronic Dimmer such as Lutrons Skylark line, SELV-300

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1