Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

hardwire a pre wired, plug in fluorescent fixture...?

I cut the plugs off and want to hardwire three fluorescent fixtures to a junction box...

I want to make sure to use the correct wire gauge. The wires from the fixture are fairly thin and stranded... I'm sure it matters what gauge wire it runs to the power, right? I couldn't find specific information anywhere.

Would I be safe to hook it up to 12g or should i use 14g? it will be going to a switch as well.

thanks!

inlovewithohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #2

First, you should not have cut them. Second the cable remaining must go also. Removing the cords would have been the smartest thing to do. You see I save cords for other projects and for testing stuff.

Just connect them with whatever wiring procedure you prefer. Use building wire like NM. (Romex). 14/2 on 15 amp breaker or 12/2 on 20 amp breaker. Use a standard light switch.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

You could have mounted duplex recepticals in your jb and used the cords.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #4

thanks for the replies. had a hold on the construction of the shop, but back on now. decided to hook up new plugs to the lights, using the option of just plugging them in to outlets controlled by a switch - as stated by both replies.

thanks again!
inlovewithohio is offline   Reply With Quote