Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Share |

Hard wiring range hood

So I want to hard wire my new range hood. There is a pantry behind the wall the range hood is installed on. There is an outlet on the same side of the wall as the hood but not directly underneath the hood. Can I hardwire into the outlet and run 12/2 NM from the outlet box through the wall exposed into a 1/2 lb conduit body that protrudes out of the wall (but doesn't connect to the box) into 1/2" pipe screwed to the pantry wall that would run up the wall then take a left via 90' angle and eventually enter back into the wall via 1/2 lb conduit body, and then run through the wall exposed, terminating into the hood box for connection? The run would be no more than 10' and the only connections would be in the kitchen outlet box and the range hood box. Thanks in advance for your input.

Neilolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Hard wiring range hood

I'm not sure I understand everything your doing. In general you cannot take power from an outlet (receptacle) in a kitchen that is used to serve countertop appliances. This would be non code compliant for many years now. As far as running nm-b inside conduit for protection and to solve the exposed nm-b on the surface of a wall issue .. that is fine if you don't mind the looks. Fishing nm-b in existing construction inside walls is also OK. Again though I'm not completely clear on what your doing.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
Neilolo (03-10-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Hard wiring range hood

The exhaust fan is **almost always** fed from a lighting circuit.
It is NEVER fed from the counter-top small appliance circuit(s).

When in the wall (from whatever source) plain old ROMEX is fine.
(unless your in Chicago)
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
Neilolo (03-10-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

Hard wiring range hood

Thanks guys. All I am trying to do is power my wall mounted canopy range hood without tearing up the plaster kitchen wall. My plan now is to tap a power source in the pantry behind the kitchen wall. I don't mind the looks of running conduit on the surface of the pantry wall. I had contemplated tapping into a kitchen receptacle (and running wires back through the wall into the pantry) because I stumbled across some other forums where people were asking about wiring a plug onto the range hood wires, but were told to hard wire the hood to the receptacle. Tapping a lighting circuit makes sense though. The hood manual even indicates running 14AWG wire in 1/2" conduit from the service panel to the hood box, but I am assuming I don't need a dedicated circuit. There is a light switch in the pantry. Assuming I can connect the hood to the power source to the switch?
Neilolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwire range hood, run nm through conduit, run nm through walls