Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hard wiring a new dishwasher install.

I'm planing on a new install of a dishwasher and I'm going to hard wire it. I've run 12/2 wire from the main panel to the wall behind where the dishwasher will be. I have about 4' of wire coming out of the wall but now what?

I know I could just hook it up and it would work but I don't think that wouldn't be the proper way to do it. I'm thinking I need a junction box of some type and armored cable from it to the dishwasher but I'm not sure.

Any advice is appreciated.

avro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

My dishwasher had a junction box on the lower right corner of the dishwasher. It also came with wiring instructions. You might want to check the wiring instructions for your dishwasher, if you don't have them they may be available on line.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

WARNING: Canadian alert

not being disrespectful, merely noting the fact you are Canadian where their rules can be quite different than ours. We do have a couple other Canadians around here so hang on. Hopefully they will provide a proper install for those crazy enough to live north of us... I mean our friends to the north.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Daniel, I think I'm okay with connecting the wiring at the dishwasher's junction box. My problem is what would be the proper set-up for transitioning the wire as it comes though the wall?

Nap yer funny. Don't get me wrong because this is a great country but if I could get a green card I'd be outta here so fast and never ever have to shovel snow again!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avro1 View Post

Nap yer funny. Don't get me wrong because this is a great country but if I could get a green card I'd be outta here so fast and never ever have to shovel snow again!
Hey, if you are good at shoveling snow, I know they could use some help in Wash DC

the one thing I am concerned about. especially since there is some similarities in your code and ours is: do you need a disconnect. Down here you do or you need facilities to lock out the breaker (if the appliance is over 300 VA or 1/8 HP which, unless I am mistaken, most dishwashers exceed). due to that, a recep and cord would act as a disconnect. If using a locking means on the breaker, the locking means must remain in place with or without the lock in place.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I mean our friends to the north.
Were friends except between the hours of 12:15PST and 3:15PST on February 28. For those of you who are not sports fans that is when Canada is going to win the gold in the mens hockey finals at the Olympics.

To the OP, whenever I have wired in a dishwasher we would just hang the wire out of the wall and then run the wire into the junction box on the dishwasher.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Were friends except between the hours of 12:15PST and 3:15PST on February 28. For those of you who are not sports fans that is when Canada is going to win the gold in the mens hockey finals at the Olympics.

To the OP, whenever I have wired in a dishwasher we would just hang the wire out of the wall and then run the wire into the junction box on the dishwasher.
well, it would be good for you to win. You are actually doing extremely well this year. Since I figure you guys don't have tv in most of the country; you have the lead and will finish with the lead in gold medals, even when we win the gold for hockey.

you took gold in curling as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I like to put a receptacle on the wall and a cord and plug on the dishwasher in case I have to pull it out I can unplug it and pull it out as far as I want to.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
well, it would be good for you to win. You are actually doing extremely well this year. Since I figure you guys don't have tv in most of the country; you have the lead and will finish with the lead in gold medals, even when we win the gold for hockey.

you took gold in curling as well.

and Hockey!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avro1 View Post
and Hockey!!!!
ya, I saw it. Hey, any idea why the US team was so bummed looking? I realize they didn't get the gold but silver ain't shabby. Not a one smiled from the end of the game on.

makes 'em look kind of like poor sports.

Canada did well.

Just one request for the next time you guys host the winter Olympics:

make sure there is snow. It was kind of tough without snow this year.

Last edited by nap; 02-28-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #11

Quote:
ya, I saw it. Hey, any idea why the US team was so bummed looking? I realize they didn't get the gold but silver ain't shabby. Not a one smiled from the end of the game on.

makes 'em look kind of like poor sports.

Canada did well.

Just one request for the next time you guys host the winter Olympics:

make sure there is snow. It was kind of tough without snow this year.
Oh they're not poor sports at...just really bummed. Canada and the US are like best friends until it comes to hockey then the gloves are off. Your guys wanted gold as much as we did. They both played very well and the game could have gone either way....in theory. I mean after all hockey IS our game!

Don't know what to say about the snow. I'd prefer no snow...but then again you know how I feel about snow!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

Don't know anything about Canadian code, down here we are allowed to run Romex directly into the junction box. Except in New York and Chicago, where the rats apparently eat Romex, so they require BX. By the way, I wired my dishwasher through a 20A switch above the counter, that way there is a visible positive disconnect. This is of course in addition to the breaker, which is not visible when working on the dishwasher. I don't know that this is required for residential work, but it might be required for commercial, I did it anyway.

By the way, it was a great hockey game, and I was actually glad that Canada won the game, after all if they had lost it would have been the second greatest tragedy of all time (the first of course was when Wayne Gretzky left Edmonton, or maybe it was when the Quebec Nordiques went to Colorado?)

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote